Search Unity

Can I roll back unity version ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by narf03, Jan 10, 2017.

1. narf03

narf03

I updated unity and certain code no longer works, google a bit, seems like a new unity bug. I could not do anything until that bug is fixed, i prefer not to wait. Anyways to have older version of unity "reinstalled" ?

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

A quick Google search yields the result: Unity Download Archive

If you upgraded your project without making a backup, as the editor prompts you to do, you may run into problems even with an old version, as certain API calls and project settings may have changed. You'll have to deal with those on a case by case basis, though, if they even show up.

3. narf03

narf03

ya, actually downgrading my project should be part of my question, and no, im stupid not duplicating my project b4 clicking that upgrade button, had too much faith in unity.

naveinrex97 likes this.
  4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well you might be fine. Give it a shot with a previous version and see.

I find it interesting that you accept the fault for not backing up your project, and then immediately suggest it's Unity's fault for having bugs. That's the equivalent of apologizing for something, and then saying "but..." Doing so negates the first statement entirely.

Unity gave you a warning saying unintended side effects could occur, and gave you a recommendation to back up your project. You chose to ignore that advice.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It's worth noting you can install multiple versions of Unity side by side on the same computer, as long as they are in different folders.

BrandyStarbrite and Ryiah like this.
  6. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Yeah I always back up (ZIP) my Unity folder on a weekly basis. Especially from going between version upgrades.. Been screwed too many times in the upgrade process before.

7. Indiana34

Indiana34

I'm doing a game that has pre-made scripts, and I'm wondering if, since my book shows a different screen for the scripts, is there a manual setting to go back to 2017.1? This may not be the issue, but I think it could be.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You would want to manually install Unity 2017 if you get errors with a more recent version.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just thought I'd chime in and mention that you can ignore this difference if you wish. Choice of script editor has no effect on your project in any way. You only need to know how to save once you've modified a script and it will always be with the "Save" option in the "File" menu.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Kiwasi likes this.