Search Unity

Question Can I remove the AVATARS folder from the Oculus package?

Discussion in 'VR' started by PolyMad, Oct 12, 2021.

1. PolyMad

PolyMad

I don't need to work with avatars at all, can I remove that folder or are there dependencies for the normal functioning of the controllers and headset framework?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

You cannot, if you remove 1 folder from the oculus integration (I tried it with lipsync) there will be many issues.
    Best to message Oculus about this

PolyMad likes this.
  3. PolyMad

PolyMad

Thank you. So I guess I'll only reduce the textures size at least...

4. Dark-Table

Dark-Table

This isn't quite true. There are a bunch of annoying interdependencies, but the only folder in the Oculus Integration you cannot delete is the "VR" folder.

Lipsync and Avatar have interdependecies, but you can delete both together. (It's unlikely you'd need Lipsync if you aren't using Avatars)

AudioManager has dependencies on Spatializer and Lipsync but you can delete it. (AudioManager is a weird utility that really shouldn't be part of the Oculus Integration)

Sample Framework has some dependencies on Platform, but you can just delete those samples if you don't need Platform. (but eventually you'll probably want Platform for achievements and stuff)

It's actually a good idea to get rid of the Avatar folder because it has a bunch of complex shaders in the Resources directory that make builds take a while even though you're not using them.

PolyMad likes this.
  5. DevDunk

DevDunk

For me as soon as I deleted 1 or multiple folders (just tried it) the Oculus menu at the top disappears

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Now this is an answer that gives me relief, I'll give it a go.
    Thank you forever!

7. PolyMad

PolyMad

Ummmmmm o_O

8. korinVR

korinVR

We removed Oculus/Avatar (and Oculus/LipSync) for our apps, and the apps were successfully approved both on Oculus Store and App Lab. There are no problems at all (including the Oculus menu), and it reduces the project and app sizes and improves build speed. It is highly recommended if you don't need the avatar function.

PolyMad likes this.
  9. PolyMad

PolyMad

Thank you!
    But I see in the OVR menu there is a window with build ID etc. and it says that they are required to submit the app... so how does this work then, when that menu is gone?