Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I record hands, body and head transform in VR and export to FBX?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CassieNova, Oct 27, 2020.

1. CassieNova

CassieNova

Hello all, new to the forums! I have an Oculus Quest and was wondering if there was a way I can record keyframes of my hands, head, and overall translation in 3D space. My goal is to record my body movements in VR and export what I recorded as an FBX from Unity so I can edit in Blender.

This would be so helpful because I could even record camera movements like that :)

Oh btw, I'm using Final IK in order to get the body moving with my movements in VR. Feel free to suggest any paid or free options, anything would help. Hope I made sense! Thanks!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not aware of any off-the-shelf solution for what you're asking for, but it's a very good idea. We have high-quality head and hand tracking already, so why not use it for motion capture?

The drawback to this is the rest of the body. I too use FinalIK to infer the body pose from the head/hand trackers, but in my experience it doesn't do a very good job. Characters very often end up hunched over or up on their tiptoes (or both), and obviously it can't actually reproduce any movement of your hips/legs/feet.

Still, if in your application you mainly need to record head and hand movements — for emotes, maybe? — then capture from the Quest is a great idea. You could write some code to record this yourself, but FBX is a very hard format to write (or read), so you might need to save your animations in something else, like Collada .dae format.

Please update this thread as you learn more... it's a neat idea and I'd like to see more about it myself!

3. AlexKup

AlexKup

I am doing something similar where i need to record the hands and head positions it is definitely Possible. I am using VRTK and HTC Vive with Steam VR and Open VR.