Search Unity

Can I open Asset Store in Browser?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by huangyous, Apr 16, 2011.

1. huangyous

huangyous

It is not conveniet that I have to open Unity every time to see what's new in the Store.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's no browser access.

--Eric

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Which is unfortunate, in my opinion. I really don't like how I -have- to launch Unity in order to browse 3rd party content and also that the downloaded content is hidden in an obscure folder. I'm sure UT had their reasons for doing it this way, but as a consumer I find it annoying. I'd much prefer a web based system that would allow me to make my purchases through PayPal, and if given the choice, that's the way I do it.

4. IonDave

IonDave

I agree. Having to upgrade to a specific version just for the store is ridiculous. I know I can have multiple versions on my PC for this purpose but I'm not going to waste my HD space just for that.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

No need for specific versions, just have the latest and you are safe. That means you need at maximum 2 given you have one on which you have to remain due to a project

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Errr, no, it would mean you need at minimum 2 if you have a project that requires a non current version. I currently have 2.6, 3.1 and 3.2 installed on one computer and 2.6, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 installed on the other. I was going to skip 3.3 altogether as it didn't have any improvements / fixes for what I do (Windows stand alones), but was "forced" to update to 3.3 in order to download a model in the Asset Store. I can understand a script or shader that might not be backwards compatible with older versions but not a model. :confused:

The issue is three-fold, in my opinion:

First, I don't like in-app purchases. In-app purchases require me to "trust" the app's developer to a higher level than I'm comfortable with. I much prefer a website whose security I can verify and purchase through a store I trust.

Secondly, I don't like that the Asset Store assumes I'm an idiot. By that I mean, it will only allow me to download a particular asset from a particular version of Unity. All that is required, in my opinion, is a note in the product description that this asset requires Unity version 3.2, that's it.

Lastly, I really find it irritating that the asset I just downloaded is hidden in an obscure folder that's not easily retrieved. I'm sure UT thought this would be a nifty feature, but as someone who browses / makes purchases on one computer and develops on another, it's a real pain. Further, this process doesn't take into account people, who like myself, use two computers for development.

I'm sure UT really thought the Asset Store was a phenomenal development, but to be honest, I really find it a nuisance. For those 3rd party developers out there who might be reading this, if you have a website with a PayPal link so I can buy your asset, you've just doubled (or tripled) the likelihood that I'll buy it.

Again, everything I've just posted is purely my opinion. I'm sure there will be others who disagree.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

I agree and disagree.

I hope for something different too (more like what GG offeres) when the Asset Store happened, because I was among the supporters of a centralized platform to share addons etc since 2.0.
    What we have at the time isn't optimal, it resembles TheGameCreators trash flood system just a tad too much out of my view (the content shows that at least out of my personal view with people uploading micro stuff just to have more stuff on to have a higher likelyhood to sell anything and alike), but its a first step and there is the hope that UT will build something reasonable on top of it. What it though does as a starter for sure is:

1. Keep stuff up to date rather easily
    2. Find various addons rather easily independent on if you want to buy them on the Asset Store or not.

Don't see the point in the paypal stuff various people mention though cause the store offers paypal too. I buy exclusively through paypal actually as my income goes through it anyway and I prefer not to lose 4%+ on currency conversation from worthless dollar to CHF and back

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I respect that. ;)

The model I would like to see, is like how the DAZ3D store works. It's web-based, easy to browse from any of my computers, but most important (to me) is that it keeps a record of all my purchases, licenses, serials, etc. so I can re-download or re-activate any of the assets or applications I may have purchased. I've got to say that from a consumer's point of view, DAZ really nailed it with their website / store design.

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

But its also required given the totally inacceptable crap quality software they sell. If the store would suck as badly you could sue them to hell for taking money without deliverying something.

But I get your point and aside of the browser based (cause it is web based already and keeps complete record of what you buy with 1 click redownload not 7 click spread over 3 pages as daz) its up to that already isn't it :)

10. Colonel_Klink

Colonel_Klink

While I realise that the asset store is a favourable way to sell items for most people who don't want to sell directly off their own website, I personally prefer to deal directly with the asset creator. Therefore I purchase only from those who sell from their own website. I would suggest that asset creators consider alternative methods of selling their creations as well as the asset store.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Klink

11. Anthony85

Anthony85

I've never tried accessing the asset store (don't think i can through the indie version, can't aford/justify getting pro, since indie can pretty much do everything i'll ever need to do), and as for other options for asset developers, there is also turbosquid and the3dstudio (and I think cgsociety have an online store too), BUT the problem with these sites is, there's a 30% maximum tax on anything you sell, (i think it's for non-us citizens only though), and with the conversion rates, you get even less.

I've never used paypal, so i'm not sure how it works exactly, i need to look into it more.

And I agree on the DAZ store thing, the online site/e-store is great, but the software is a nightmare to use.

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Sure you can access the asset store in indy, as of version 3.1 all versions include the asset store (it's in the window menu if I recall correctly). I just used DAZ as an example, the only product of theirs that I use is Carrara and that wasn't really their product (they bought the rights from Eovia many years back). My point was that IMO the customer buying experience + after sales support experience would be much improved if we could access on the web, have a record of downloads licenses that we could access whenever we wanted, and had the comfort in knowing that our credit card info wasn't accessible by UT.