Search Unity

Resolved Can I Make The Join Code Shorter?

Discussion in 'Lobby' started by LongAndHappy, Jun 9, 2022.

1. LongAndHappy

LongAndHappy

I find the 6 character share code to be too long (especially for debugging purposes). It looks like the backend for the relay server doesn't allow for modifications/customizations, but is there a way to make the Join Code shorter, or only use letters?

2. veleek_unity

veleek_unity

Ben Randall Unity Technologies

Just in case anybody ends up here looking for the same question for Lobby:

Currently you can't change the join code length or pattern for Lobby, but it's something that we've considered and we have it on our backlog to look at in the future. If this is important to you too, please let us know!

3. CameronDWills

CameronDWills

It would be nice for users to be able to create their own lobby code, like a "password" they create and give their friends, instead of having to use an auto generated one

4. spinaljack

spinaljack

would be good to have a numbers only code so I don't need to display a full keyboard

5. spinaljack

spinaljack

You can sort of do this with the search filters by adding a filter for password = something in your lobby query and don't let any one join without typing out the password.

You just add lobby data called "password" when you create it.

Obviously the "password" would be "visible" to everyone but in practice it works fine. I used this method in previous games.

6. veleek_unity

veleek_unity

Cameron: We would want to implement passwords on Lobby differently. A password does not uniquely identify a lobby like a Lobby code, so you would need to have the LobbyId AND the Password. Is that what you're looking for? Being able to set the LobbyCode would be slightly different, because it needs to be unique across all lobbies in the title. It could be odd to create a lobby and specify a JoinCode and get the error saying "an existing lobby already uses that JoinCode". Then you could join that lobby even if it's private.

7. veleek_unity

veleek_unity

SpinalJack: Yes, one of the potential adjustments we're looking at is enabling the developer to specify the alphabet to be used to generate the room code.

8. eman826

eman826

Hi I'm wondering if any more work has been done concerning shortening the lobby code?
    It would be more convenient, and since my game only has a handful of players at the moment, wouldn't cause any issues.

9. mcanfield_unity

mcanfield_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, no, not at this point in time. We are working on a number of multiplayer quality of life features in 2024, including how sessions are allocated and joined, but shorter codes has not come up. I'll add this as a feature request for review and point back to the conversation. Thanks for checking in.

10. eman826

eman826

Ok good to know. Thank you for the reply! :)

11. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

On the public roadmap custom join codes are a feature proposed there. Is this also planned? Maybe it could be "solved" with this feature?

12. zackblack

zackblack

Custom join codes is an absolute must have for our development team to consider Unity relay. So many games these days just let you specify your own room like "ChicagoFriends" that your buddies can always connect to without having to share some random code back and forth. It's the only way to fly.