Search Unity

Can I give away vouchers I've received for free assets from Unity?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JDelekto, Aug 18, 2018.

1. JDelekto

JDelekto

I've taken advantage of the free assets offer during both the July and August promotions; however, three of the free assets they were providing I already own. I actually owned four, but one I had purchased just days prior and the folks at Unity were kind enough to give me a refund for that asset.

Is it OK to transfer the vouchers for the assets that I already own --or is this generally frowned upon? I wouldn't expect to get credit towards other assets at their face value (which would be really, really awesome), but I would like to offer them to beginning indie developers who can really use them.

The specific assets (one of which I have a voucher for now, the other two pending receipt from the asset store for August's promotion) are: OOTII's Camera Controller, Malbers Animations Horse Animset Pro and Awesome Technologies Vegetation Studio. These are all excellent assets (which is why I already own them) and beware with Malber's Animations --their animated assets are superb and I had to buy all of them.

If there is no problem with transferring these assets, I would prefer they be given to people who need and will use them and if there is a preferred manner in giving these away, any pointers will be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

I have the same issue and would not mind an official answer.

3. ikazrima

ikazrima

I asked the same thing before, no official response so I just went on to trade vouchers with others.
    Doesn't seem to be a problem as long as both parties agree.

4. Amvient

Amvient

I could say, if they are free and since they give a code, you are free to give them away, no much different from someone giving a code to someone else. Also there is no mention you are forced to use on your own account. XD Also could I get the Horse Animset Pro?

I checked the Terms and there is no mention of Transfer or sharing codes being punished.

I am indie starting to learn but I do have to say I am interested on the Horse animation, for an idea I have.

Edit to change a bit wording and add more information.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. TonyLi

TonyLi

You can give away vouchers, but you can't sell them. Once you redeem them, you can't transfer ownership.

When Unity gave asset vouchers with Plus and Pro subscriptions, their FAQ stated:

Can I give my assets to a friend or co-worker?
    Yes, you may gift a voucher to a friend or co-worker before you redeem it. Once an asset voucher has been redeemed it cannot be reused and you will be unable to transfer the asset to anyone.

Now that Plus and Pro comes instead with a blanket 20% discount for many assets, that FAQ is no longer relevant, so it's not on the page any more.

JDelekto likes this.
  6. JDelekto

JDelekto

I have started a separate conversation thread and have gifted the voucher code for you there. Hopefully you will be the only one able to see it and have received notification.

Thank you for the information! I did have a concern that it might be somehow associated with my account before redemption, but considering that people can gift them, it makes sense that once they have the money, there shouldn't be an issue with transfer of the code itself.

OK, now I only have the Camera Controller and Vegetation Studio left. If anyone knows someone that can use them, just drop a note, they expire at the end of September.

hoodoo likes this.
  7. hoodoo

hoodoo

Hi @JDelekto - I sent you a PM about the Vegetation Studio voucher. Thanks!

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Update: I opened a support case (538701) with Unity to get an official answer.

You may not sell or give away vouchers that you have received through promotions.

Their response:

9. JDelekto

JDelekto

I will have to remember that for the next time. Unfortunately, I've already given away two of my vouchers and they did not have that verbiage on the August promotion's terms or in the e-mail I received.

However, in light of this new information, I cannot claim ignorance in the future. Thanks for looking into this @TonyLi.

10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

It's a very silly rule but ultimately the store just doesn't want to lose the opportunity to make money and freebies interfere with that.

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Their legal department may have additional reasons. For example, if someone sells an invalid voucher code, the buyer will probably seek some kind of arbitration from Unity, even though Unity wasn't involved in the transaction.

12. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

You may be giving a very valid reason but I know with Steam you can gift vouchers so I am not so convinced that's the reason.

13. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

I got Gaia from the Humble Bundle promotion and I already bought it. It is worthless for me to keep it....

14. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

That's definitely unfortunate. I am in the same boat and as much as I don't like their new rule (and do think it's silly) I do believe companies do not have to honor vouchers if you are not the person who purchased them. Steam definitely allows the gifting of vouchers so I believe Unity simply chooses not to for financial reasons.

15. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

@JDelekto I'll trade you my voucher for Umotion Pro for your OOTII's Camera Controller one.

16. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Unfortunately, a bit of a hot topic right now is you can't transfer vouchers to others. I hope eventually they loosen that rule.

17. Tom-Atom

Tom-Atom

Hi, I think that promotions are ment promotions like: "Buy/renew Unity Plus/Pro and choose X free assets from list". In such case free assets are part of the offer and I understand they are not happy if someone shares part of it as some are not public (but targeted only to selected developers).
    Humble bundle is normal purchase for very good price - like if there was (big) discount directly on Asset Store.

18. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Yeah. The thing is some of us already owned from of the assets from Humble Bundle like me with Gaia and were wondering if they were tradeable.

19. helloworldgames

helloworldgames

I have unused voucher as i already own following plugins, what should i do if not trade ?
    UFPS: Ultimate FPS
    Inventory Pro
    FlowCanvas
    GameFlow
    Universal Sound FX

20. cybersoft

cybersoft

There could be one solution for small groups in order to use doubled assets. Make another Unity account for you and you can use on your second computer. You can simply own 2 licenses.

21. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Anyone want to trade for a Gaia? Lol

22. winxalex

winxalex

If some spent years to develop the asset and give you voucher, and you don't use it, you should give to someone that it will. You should show respect. If its 0$ doesn't mean is worthless, but creator shown respect to you, as indie or else, and give his hard work. So... I've gave some voucher and some people are just collectors, just want to take what is free, no matter if they will use it or not, just take....

23. Amvient

Amvient

Those look like the ones given by humble bundle some time ago. I have some too, but I have a co-worker who wants to start studying game dev, I am planning to give those ones I already have.

winxalex likes this.