Search Unity

Can I get feedback on my RGP Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AlexZ, Jul 10, 2012.

1. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey guys,

I've been working on a tutorial for my RPG Dungeon Fighter game for the past 2 weeks. Please let me know what you think of it and if:

1. The back story makes sense
    2. The quest objectives are clear, audio/text.
    3. The voice acting is good (had some friends do it).
    4. Player movement is good (there is an option to change the style to more traditional RPG movement inside the menu).
    5. Are the 3 rewards for completing the quest worth while?
    6. Anything else.

There is a facebook app version:

https://apps.facebook.com/dungeonfighter

If you don't have Facebook, there is a guest mode version on my portal:

http://socialplay.com/DungeonFighterGameList.aspx

Plz keep in mind this is still a work in progress :D

Thanks in advance for the feedback! :)

One last thing, if you like it and want to stay up to date, you can follow the Facebook/Twitter feed:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SocialPlay/162944280403699
    https://twitter.com/SocialPlayGames

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. AlexZ

AlexZ

Some screenshots:

and a video:

3. AlexZ

AlexZ

bump

4. scr33ner

scr33ner

Hi Alex, I gave the game a quick run thru- how do you pick up items?

I thought I would automatically loot when I moved the character on dropped items...

5. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hi Scr33ner,

The tutorial should have gone over that, but its the "e" key to loot. The reason it's not automatic, is that there are limited inventory slots, and so it has to be player explicit.

Thanks for trying it, and in case you missed it, above the dungeon list, there is a tutorial bar/button where you do play the tutorial, you might have played dungeons 101 instead.

6. kalamona

kalamona

I noticed you use some of my effects, wow I am so proud :) In exchange, I will thest this :)

I will write my toughts as I play the game.

- 31 steps, ouch, sounds like a lot. Good thing you mentioned the rewards though.
    - Mute Audio button, nice touch.
    - pickup, movement okay.
    - drag the equipment from inventory to equipment - wow, but my bag is full of stuff, whic one is the equipment? Well I know it, but ppl with no ARPG experience wont.
    -after pressing C, now there are 3 windows open. The game doesn't exactly says to close those, so I don't dare, in case I miss the next tutorial move. Maybe closing them automatically would be a good idea here.
    - You should be able to close the window with clicking on the top of it, where the "inventory"/"character"-etc text is. Maybe.
    - After killing the goblin, the next tutorial appears instantly. It would have been more statisfying to see a nice death animation, and the tutorial pops in after it.
    - Same thing with the boss. Popups take away the statisfaction of killing. Also I didn't see the effect of the skill scroll. Remember, even small things like these should be perfect in the first 5 minutes of the game, as it will decide whether the user remains wit you or not.
    - The portal is a bit hard to notice, a more "town portal-esque" effect would be better. Hmm, maybe I should just make one :)
    - I think it was only 21 steps? After that, I wnet to Dungeon 101, but there were no additional tutorials.

Now dont get me wrong, of course a lot of players will figure out how to close the windows, and whitch are the equipment icons. It all depends who you target. If you target people who most likely played any Diablo-type game, these won't be a problem. If you target totally casual players, it will be.

Cheers,
    Kalamona

7. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks so much for the feedback.
    Ive started work on fixing most of what you mentioned already.

-changing it to 21 steps instead of 31 :p typo, oops!
    -tutorial wont load with existing items.
    -tutorial quests for closing the 3 windows.
    -there is currently an x button on the top right of windows that u can click to close it.
    -next quest apon enemy death effect finished, not on death.
    -if you make a nice portal effect ill buy it :D

Updates should be done soon

8. scr33ner

scr33ner

Yes I did play dungeon 101.

I was a bit baffled cuz I tried a few keys except "e" to try loot but nothing. Just my 2 cents, I would maybe add text over items "E to loot" for folks like me who skip through tutorials jump right into a game.

Alexz, I'm curious, for your AI, did you create your own, use Unity Pro, or is it purchased through the asset store?

9. AlexZ

AlexZ

We used Rain for the AI, from the asset store.

Think you could give the tutorial a try when you get a chance plz :)

10. Crispian

Crispian

Putting Unity WP on Facebook may not be the best idea to get your game out there

11. AlexZ

AlexZ

Why do you think that? Uber strike had good success with that. They didn't have ratings back then, but, I think its nice to try it as its being developed as long as you know its beta.

12. Crispian

Crispian

Putting Unity WP on Facebook may not be the best idea to get your game out there because most people on facebook dont have UWP so they wonder what it is and wont download it. Put it on Kongregate or something. Anyways my thoughts on the game

-When in the loading screen make the Loading sliders/bars have more height, so i know whats loading
    -Gets buggy when opening the Character page. As in it wont close but its looking good so far
    -overall looks like its a good game didnt play more because im busy making my own but it looks really good man great job.

Actually AlexZ i think what you did is the right choice because it pushes notifcations and people are all asking me what that game is and im telling them try it so yeah.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  13. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks for the feedback. You know, until you mentioned it now, I thought Kongregate was flash only. Now that I know it supports unity web player, I will definitely be integrating with it. Thanks :D

14. kalamona

kalamona

I think this game is mainly for gamers so you can't rely on Facebook alone, grab all marketing channels you can :)

15. AlexZ

AlexZ

Yep very good point! :)

16. AlexZ

AlexZ

I'm noticing many people leaving the tutorial during the back story voice over.

Do you think that's because:

-The back story is not exciting enough, or makes sense?
    -Or is the voice itself not exciting, sleepy?

17. Prion Games

Prion Games

Loving it so far, looks visually appealing and well put together.

18. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks so much :) !

19. Babaa

Babaa

Tutorial worked great.

20. AlexZ

AlexZ

Thanks Babaa

21. Crispian

Crispian

Glad I helped if you get it on Kongregate go ahead and link me XD