Search Unity

Can I delete the Temp folder inside my Project folder???

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gamegirl1984, Apr 12, 2016.

1. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

So i was exporting my entire project and accidentally save it inside my project folder and it made a Temp Folder and its HUGE I have to get rid of it because i'm running out of room on my hard drive. I canceled the export when i realized it was saving on the wrong hard drive, so its incomplete... If i delete everything inside the temp folder, will it mess up my game?
    temp.jpg temp1.jpg

DaegeunPark likes this.
  2. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Yes. But when you rebuild things it will grow again.

charlenez and gothicserpent like this.
  3. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Ok, so i didn't "accidently" save the asset inside my project, it does it automatically. Why would it do this when you export your project as an asset??? It has you pick the folder you would like to save it in but yet saves a bunch of stuff in the project folder. I mean, I don't have enough space on my drive for that temp crap! Any ideas?

4. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Well, there isn't much to do from our end. The usual stuff applies like moving the project to another project, deleting things from the drive, make the temp folder a symlink to another drive, ...

charlenez likes this.
  5. TarunL

TarunL

Hey. What if I delete the temp folder? Will that cause issues?

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

One way to find out! Make a backup of your project, and try it and see. Hopefully it should not cause any issues, hence the name "temp". But good to check first.

7. HandsomeHarvey

HandsomeHarvey

Apologies for bumping an oldish thread, but this is where Google takes you if you do a search for Unity and deleting the temp folder.

Yes, you can safely delete the temp folder. I also accidentally used my project's directory as my build location.

That said, it's worth noting that every time you open a project in the Unity editor, a temp folder is created. And when you close Unity, any temporary files will be deleted.

If you still have files lingering in the temp folder, they're likely the residual files from that accidental build you published in there. In which case, delete them so you can reclaim your hard drive space.

lihail123 and Vjedi729 like this.
  8. lihail123

lihail123

Thanks @HandsomeHarvey. Can confirm that the Temp folder is automatically removed when you close Unity.

pandyarudresh25 likes this.
  9. RavenTravelStudios

RavenTravelStudios

It's not. Next time you open the project it will be empty (except for the lock file).

drewjosh likes this.
  10. lihail123

lihail123

@RavenTravelStudios weird, I've just checked again, I closed Unity and the Temp folder vanished completely, without opening Unity. I guess it depends on the version. I'm using 2018.04.

11. unity_i376UVPZ4mDnZQ

unity_i376UVPZ4mDnZQ

Hello everyone I have this error looking forward to everyone's help
    Note: D: \ gamenew \ Temp \ gradleOut \ unityLibrary \ src \ main \ java \ com \ unity3d \ player \ UnityPlayerActivity.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent (Int32, IntPtr)