Search Unity

Can I create a 'hole' in a sprite geometry using the PSDImporter/2DAnimation packages?

Discussion in '2D' started by bradford, Sep 22, 2021.

1. bradford

bradford

I'm moving away from Anima2d towards 2DAnimation. One feature in Anima2D that I haven't yet found in 2DAnimation is the option to create a 'hole' in the sprite's geometry.

Anima2D had a 'hole' button, and, here was the user manual blurb:

"Add holes: Sometimes you may want to avoid showing a part of the mesh in your game. To do that you can use a hole, which you can add to an enclosed area by pressing the Hole button and then double-clicking at the place you want to add the hole to"

Does 2DAnimation have any equivalent? Specifically, I'd like to create a hole *AFTER* the auto-geometry does most of the grunt-work for me. For example, imagine a smaller circle cut out from the inside of a larger circle (topologically equivalent to a 2d donut, for example).

I'm not seeing an option to do this in the UI. Am I missing something in the UI, or is this a missing feature? if it's missing, is it planned for a future release?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    You can add vertices and later edges to create a hole in a mesh. See this example I setup:

Here I first added 4 vertices using the Create Vertex tool in the Skinning Editor, and then the Create Edge tool to connect the 4 vertices with each other.

Let me know how it goes!

3. bradford

bradford

Thanks Ted, interestingly I'm having a rather different outcome when I try that. For example, starting from here:

upload_2021-9-23_19-19-58.png

I'll use the 'Create Vertex' tool to create four vertices:

upload_2021-9-23_19-21-1.png

then when when I create the edges, the central 'hole' remains filled:

upload_2021-9-23_19-22-13.png

Am I following a similiar process to you? or is there something nuanced that I'm missing?

I'm using 2DAnimation Version 6.0.5, not sure if I need to use v7.

Thanks for your help!

4. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the confusion. In Unity 2021.2 (2D Animation 7.x), we swapped out our triangulation & tessellation module in the 2D Animation package, which now allows for holes in meshes.
    So bump your project to 2021.2 if you want to give this a try.

5. bradford

bradford

Switching to 2021.2 is no problem for me. Thanks for the clarification!

Ted_Wikman likes this.
  6. pinkhair

pinkhair

I hadn't thought to test it when I tried the newer 2d animation- will a sprite that has closed areas of edges from a previous version have holes in it when moved to 7.x? Or will that only be for meshes created in the new version of the editor?

7. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

You need to recreate the mesh in Unity 2021.2 (2D Animation 7.x) for the holes in the mesh to appear.

pinkhair likes this.