Search Unity

Can I copy and paste tiles?

Discussion in '2D' started by LumoKvin, Feb 11, 2020.

1. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

I painted a large part of a level. I would like to duplicate this part so that I can use it in a different part of the level. Is this possible?

2. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

In the TilePalette, try the Eye-Dropper tool. Capture - Copy.PNG

3. Gigabitten_Gaming

Gigabitten_Gaming

Ugg, what a terrible design. They could have used an ancient Nordic rune as the symbol for that tool and it still would have been better because at least the ancient Nordic rune would not be misleading. They seriously need to change this and make it more intuitive.

4. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Hey @Gigabitten_Gaming, thank you for your feedback. You would be so pleased to know that we have finally updated that eye-dropper tool to a beautiful ancient rune symbol. Ta-da!

Ancient Rune.png

Just kidding!

I just had to reply even though it's an old post because your comment really cracked me up.

On a more serious note, I'm combing through the forums as we are looking at improving the UX for Tilemap as a whole and every feedback helps. So keep them coming. ;)

I've noted this point on iconography down and will feedback this to our team.

5. Filouza

Filouza

I don't know if it's possible at all but I would kill to be able to just select a tile on a tilemap and use copy and paste shortcuts.

Also a shortcut to turn on edit mode in the tile palette would be killer.

Thanks!

6. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Xiangting_Su likes this.
  7. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Hey thanks for the feedback @Filouza! In the docs which @Lo-renzo shared, hitting just one shortcut I, allows you to copy and paste tiles quickly.

Meaning, shortcut I activates the the Picker Tool to drag and pick or "copy" multiple tiles. Once you have selected some tiles, the tool automatically switches to the Paintbrush Tool where you can then paint or "paste" your Tiles.

To speed up your painting even more, even when you are using the Paintbrush Tool or Box Fill Tool, you can also hold down the shortcut Ctrl/Cmd to temporarily switch your active tool to this Picker Tool as well. (Releasing ctrl/cmd switches back to your original tool.)

We don't have a shortcut for this at the moment but this is worth considering. Let me feedback this to the team!

themyconid, kalibcrone and sisF like this.
  8. themyconid

themyconid

even if im late, just wanted to thank y'all for making this feature. speeds up my workflow TREMENDOUSLY. at first I thought I had to arrange items I wanted in the palette lol, glad to know I an copy from the tile map instead!

MarekUnity and Xiangting_Su like this.
  9. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

That's great to hear, @themyconid! Thank you for letting us know. I'm sure the team will be so pleased when I pass this on!