Search Unity

Can I assume that my game is playable on every Android device?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by herbie, Feb 10, 2014.

1. herbie

herbie

I'm busy with my Android game for a while and it's getting very complex. There are a lot of scripts with variables depending on eachother and timing is important.
    For so far I can play my game without any problems on my HTC one and my Galaxy note 10.1. It's going perfect.
    But can I assume now that the game is playable on every Android device without problems?

2. Ian094

Ian094

Yeah it should work well on every Android that's as good as the HTC one and Note 10.1

3. herbie

herbie

Ok, that's good to hear.
    Thanks!

4. Mikie

Mikie

If you are using 4.3.3 it does not work on a Droid 2. 4.2.2 does.

5. herbie

herbie

That's also an issue I think.
    The Galaxy has Android version 4.1.2 and for that I build with API level 14.
    The HTC has Android version 4.2.2 and for that I build with API level 17.
    How should I handle that?
    (I'm a little a noob with this stuff).

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you mean the game depends on the device managing to keep the same framerate as your device because your code isn't framerate independent then no, it won't work properly on all devices.

7. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I would counter what others have said, and recommend that you test your app on the devices where you want it to run. Although all the android devices run, well, Android, they will have different modifications, different GPUs and drivers, and any number of things can cause problems. Of course I know it can be expensive to purchase devices, but I'd urge you to have a beta where you invite users with different Androids to participate so you can get a solid understanding of how your game runs. Oh, did I say that the same phone can have different hardware in different regions of the world, so just because the game runs on a device doesn't mean it'll run on all variants. Yes, this Android stuff is a bit of a headache.

8. herbie

herbie

It's all clear to me.
    Thanks for reply.