Search Unity

Can I assign a static method to the onclick event?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by SuperCleo, Oct 18, 2014.

1. SuperCleo

SuperCleo

I can't do that in the inspector. I tried to attach a static method via c# like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. m_NextButton.onClick.AddListener(() => {SomeClass.StaticMehod();});
    No error or warning showed up, but the static method didn't get called when I clicked on the button.
    Did I do it wrong? or could I even do that?

2. User340

User340

Get rid of the double parentheses after .StaticMethod(). This is invoking it.

3. SuperCleo

SuperCleo

Thanks for replay. but after deleting those parentheses, unity spits out errors: error CS0201: Only assignment, call, increment, decrement, and new object expressions can be used as a statement.

4. Senshi

Senshi

I'm not sure about the lambda syntax in this case, but this should work:

Code (csharp):
    1. m_NextButton.onClick.AddListener(delegate{SomeClass.StaticMehod();})

5. SuperCleo

SuperCleo

That did not spit any error, but the static method still didn't get called.
    I set a breakpoint before AddListener call, it showed that the field "m_OnClick" of the Button is not set to any instance (Object reference not set to an instance of an object). any idea?

6. mweldon

mweldon

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your syntax as far as I can tell. Try it the old-fashioned way. Make a non-static function, assign it as the listener. Verify that it is being called with a debug log. Then have it call the static function.

7. SuperCleo

SuperCleo

It turns out it doesn't work with non-static function either. I must did other thing wrong.
    I set a breakpoint before AddListener call, it showed that the field "m_OnClick" of the Button is not set to any instance (Object reference not set to an instance of an object). any idea?