Search Unity

Can I add Post-Processing Effect to a UI Panel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sesshomurai, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Sesshomurai

Sesshomurai

Hi,
    I have a UI Panel and I added a Volume to it, then added Vignette override effect, but I don't see a vignette rendered on my panel.

I tried some other suggestions such as change the canvas Render Mode, but that didn't seem to work either.

Any good tips?

thank you

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Is your UI using a separate camera? Usually the questions on this topic are how to get your UI to not have PP effects applied.

3. Sesshomurai

Sesshomurai

It is not. I'm very new to Unity. I was able to put a Vignette effect on my URP global volume and it renders to the main camera for the whole scene. What I want to do is create a UI Panel where I can add vignette (and others) just to that UI Panel. Do I need a separate camera for that? And it's assigned to UI layer? Sorry for dumb questions.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It isn't a dumb question. If it is just a vignette you are after, I'd first try just placing an image of the vignette with transparency on top of the UI window and set raycast target disabled. My guess is that will work. (maybe create the image in Gimp with a vignette filter on an otherwise transparent image?) Otherwise yeah I'm fairly confident you could do a separate camera which renders to an image and apply the PP to that camera, but it seems a little convoluted of a solution. I do that with a minimap camera and it works fine, but I actually needed a camera for more than just the vignette effect.

MadeFromPolygons and Antypodish like this.