Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Can I add new bones to my character avatar?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Be_for_REAL, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Be_for_REAL

Be_for_REAL

I have a character, but his avatar is missing finger bones. As if it is possible to add them in the avatar configuration, but the new bones are not saved. Not at all. I press apply, done, but after re-examining the new bones disappear and the avatar becomes as it was before. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Maybe there are some plugins or tools for this?

2. tsukimi

tsukimi

Want you want to do is called rigging, and cannot be easily done in Unity. Event if you use other tools/plugins, it requires some skills.
    However there are some sites like mixamo that could auto-rig for you.

3. Be_for_REAL

Be_for_REAL

Mixamo does not add any new bones to the existing model. It creates an animation based on the included avatar. And only. If the model does not have knuckles, and you add an animation where the character is holding a sword, the fingers will not squeeze it. They will still have their previous appearance and hang.

4. tsukimi

tsukimi

Oh yes Mixamo doesn't add bones for your model if bones already exist. Just to clarify, Mixamo did create rigs for your character if there's no bone (= not rigged). There's another auto-rigging tool called Accurig, you can check it out.
    Well I forgot a good choice in asset store, which is UModeler X or UModeler, which (I believe) you can add new bones and do weight-painting directly on Unity manually. If this also isn't what you want, you can definitely download Blender and learn how to add/modify bones.