Search Unity

Question Can I add a sprite or some material that renders on a custom imported mesh

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by shakenbake444, Sep 13, 2022.

1. shakenbake444

shakenbake444

My background is in mechanical engineering so I wanted to use tools I'm familiar with to create complex geometry in my games. I'm basically just starting out if that isn't obvious already. I used Fusion 360 to create a plane and exported to FBX. When I import into unity it imports a mesh filter and a mesh renderer. No problems so far. However, I cannot simply add a sprite to this object to "fill" in this mesh. How does one render a material within the mesh boundary to render something on the screen? Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of the simple mesh I'm working with.
    Image 9-13-22 at 4.14 PM.jpg

Here is how it imports as
    Image 9-13-22 at 4.15 PM.jpg

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

Steel - Satin is the Material. With the material you can add textures, normal maps, detail, etc.

3. shakenbake444

shakenbake444

Downloaded a mesh debugger. Turns out the debugger is unable to read the mesh which I'm assuming unity is also not able to do it properly. Suprised there's no import errors with the mesh renderer component. Can't figure out why fusion is producing planes whos mesh cannot be read in unity.

One not great work around I found is to draw edge colliders around the object matching the verticies. It works but is time consuming and not efficient. I'd much rather be able to attach a mesh collider that works out of the gate and be done with it.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Then stop using Fusion 360, (an external prog). You can create meshes/content by better means, that are more compatable with Unity (Blender, UModeler, ProBuilder, etc.). Your only wasting time, and having to create work-arounds...

shakenbake444 likes this.