Search Unity

Can Cinemachine Replicate the Silent Hill 2 Following Camera?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Huknar, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Huknar

Huknar

Firstly let me thank Adam and the team for creating such an incredible, robust tool. You're doing such amazing work making game creation more accessible than ever before.

I'm really curious to know whether Cinemachine is capable of creating most of the complex behaviour found in the following camera of the Silent Hill games (found in the street levels and some indoor areas). Below are a couple of videos that show the system in action.

Discerned Camera Rules:
    These are the rules that this system seems to follow.
    • The camera should focus on a point in front of the player.
    • It will follow this point and try to maintain a minimum distance at all times.
    • The camera should try aim from behind the characters' back and rotate towards this position when it becomes available.
    • If a rotation around the player would make the camera hit a wall, it will not attempt to make the rotation.
    • The speed at which it rotates is based on how much the player is facing the camera, where the rotation will not occur (or occur extremely slowly) if the character is looking towards the camera.

2. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @Huknar

CM can do things very much like you described. There will probably not be an exact 1:1 as they are different systems but you will get very close - plus the advantage of being in a unified camera system where you can blend from any type of camera to any other type of camera, or easily blend between different Free Looks based on animations or world triggers or code.

The main control will be the Free Look camera with Recentering and the Collision module (which Greg is improving right now)

Firstly, I'm going to ask you to watch a video:
    This is where Free Look is broken down a bit. There are a lot of controls in there and they take a while to get to know.

Have a look at the video and then let me know if you have any questions remaining.

The best bit is to hook a Free Look up to your character and start messing around.

THEN>>>>> start playing with State Driven Cameras !

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017