Search Unity

Can Cinemachine be used as gameplay camera?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Le_Tai, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Everything I see online about Cinemachine seems to be all about cinematic, but I don't see a reason why it can't be used as gameplay camera. Is this one of the expected use case? Is there any reason I should avoid doing this?

2. mountblanc

mountblanc

There are some demo video's of Unity themselves where they talk about in game usage where cut scenes are triggered.
    It involves a mouse. Also the track features are used to track a player for example moving true the terrain and switching camera's for best angles.

There is also a new blog about changing Cinemachine stuff from script. https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/04/05/creative-scripting-for-timeline/
    I myself am using Cinemachine in my upcoming 2d game to switch from train cart to train cart and to the lift letting the scene machine camera follow different objects and move between them. I love the more natural movement of the camera keeping the object on screen but not in the exact middle all the time. If you add Cinemachine to your project there are some demo scenes that show game play setups.

Gregoryl likes this.
  3. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

We hear this question all the time. Yes, CM is an in-game camera system. There's so many features in CM just for games. We are guilty of this perception as many of the demos show just cinematic stuff but there's so much in there for gameplay specifically.

I'm not sure what genre your game is but one way to see a bunch of gameplay specific features is to checkout our demo scenes.

After CM is loaded, install the demo scenes:
    upload_2018-4-7_11-31-57.png

It will load a bunch of example scenes which cover all sorts of genres and gameplay cameras:
    upload_2018-4-7_11-33-27.png

They're super basic scenes but a fun way to see how to configure CM in a bunch of different ways.

Here's a talk where I go over some more gameplay camera ideas.

If you have questions after that, don't hesitate to hit us up here on the forums.

ezed1, ve110cet, bitinn and 4 others like this.
  4. ve110cet

ve110cet

Any tutorials for the gameplay stuff? Especially switching up the camera based on state changes?

5. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @ve110cet - two things to get you started:

There's this:

Also, there's the example scenes which have a demo of this in action. Go Cinemachine->Install demo scenes from the top menu bar and checkout the State Driven Camera scene

6. fuzzyScrub

fuzzyScrub

Any tips regarding simple object orbiting camera done by Cinemachine? With traditional script approach, this is simple, however, I was wondering if there is some solutions build in the tool or another type of approaches more fitting for the Cinemachine.

Looking for something like this: https://lmhpoly.com/unity-tutorial-rotate-a-camera-around-the-object/

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Do exactly the same thing that you would do with a script, except that instead of animating the Camera directly, animate a vcam with DoNothing in Aim and Body, so that it won't perform any procedural positioning on its own.

adnanzmn97 likes this.
  8. 11rolf

11rolf

I am looking for a tutorial how to use Cinemachine in a multiplay game following the right player. Any advice how to do that?

9. Radiago

Radiago

If it's split screen, what you end up doing is having separate cameras for each player, with separate brains on each camera, and then each brain camera needs to be on a different layer. Then that brain only solves for virtual cameras on the same layer. Simply have a new layer for each player possibly, and assign the follow/look at targets for the virtual cameras to their respective player objects.

10. K0ST4S

K0ST4S

Is cinemachine heavy on CPU? Would it be worth writing my own script if I only wanted to have a blend between two cameras?