Search Unity

Question Can CCD replace game patching?

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by Dyntragos, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Dyntragos

Dyntragos

Hello! I am working on a cross-platform project that is in its early stages and will need updates as we continue to develop the game. I was hoping that CCD would be able to fill that role in our pipeline, but as I continue to read about it, I am concerned that we would still need to have a patch system in place when we need to update the functionality in our scripts. Can CCD be used to deliver new functionality to users? For example, could we change a script attached to an object and expect the new behaviors to be loaded into the game when the new version of that object is loaded into the game via CCD? Can this also work with loading scenes and all the objects/scripts in use therein?

It sounds to me like the above examples would not work. Please correct me if I am wrong. As an alternative, I am looking into Cloud Code as an option for updating our game logic without requiring patches. My concern is still that a base game code will be required on the client in order to reference these services. In a situation where we need to update that core logic, we would still need to find a solution for patching those changes in on the client side. Is that right? Even if we utilize these other services, occasionally we should expect to need a separate solution for client updates that don't/can't be updated through CCD or Cloud Code?

2. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dyntragos,

Thanks for your feedback and posting on the forums. No correction needed you are spot on with your assumptions. You can send Content over Cloud content delivery but scripts are not possible since the engine needs to interpret said scripts and compile them.

Loading scenes with objects and scripts would work but the scripts would have been created or made available in its initial release. The scenario would be great for making new levels and sending them through CCD reusing existing scripts and decreasing initial applications size.

Your suggestion of using Cloud code would be the alternative option. A mixture of both may work but a "BASE" code would still have to be created in Cloud Code and properly referenced within your game. CCD will help keep the patch count down but can't eliminate them altogether when involving scripts.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Best,
    Seb

Dyntragos likes this.
  3. Dyntragos

Dyntragos

Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping to confirm.

4. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

@Dyntragos Hi again,
    Additionally a adding Remote config would also help, since you can configure parameters without recompiling code.
    Check out the documentation for more info. If you have any questions feel free to ask here.

Best,
    Seb