Search Unity

Can Blender 2.8 (EEVEE shaders) still be used with Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CloudyVR, Mar 15, 2019.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Recently I have been testing Blender 2.8 and learning it's interface.

Though a lot has improved, there are still large gaps between traditional Blender and the newer streamlined variant known as v2.8.

I am not completely in favor of the way it has removed all legacy shader compatibility, and the Blender Internal engine has been completely removed with no backwards compatibility added.

I wonder how this changes the ability to effectively use Blender with Unity?

I am mainly concerned because currently I convert any models which use (Cycles) nodes back to Blender Internal shaders prior to attempting to import into Unity, otherwise the textures and other parameters are missing.

However Blender 2.8 uses only nodes, and I don't believe Unity is able to read them.

Is it possible to create a model in EEVEE shaders, then import it into Unity without losing the diff/spec/tex information?

Thanks.

2. RalliantoDeLaVega

RalliantoDeLaVega

Yes you can, it is being done in this video

I'm not sure to what extend Unity understands the graph node editor from Blender Eevee, but it seems at least at part of the way, you can directly import from Eevee without making changes in Unity's shader graph.

Laboriax, Edy and iamthwee like this.
  3. WarpZone

WarpZone

Looks like you're limited to the Standard Shader in Unity as of when this video was made. Which is a shame, because Blender has a more full-featured shader editor like we see in the LW and HD render pipelines. Hopefully future versions of UniGLTF or maybe even another project entirely will let users author shaders in Blender and import the entire node structure to Unity, but this is a step in the right direction.

daneobyrd likes this.
  4. CatrinMariachi

CatrinMariachi

? No, you are not limited to the standard Shader.
    I use this method to quick import enviroments and props from Eevee (Blender 2.81) to Unity HDRP.
    I just go to the prefab materials folder and update all mats to HDRP, it works fine.

Incogitance likes this.
  5. CarolCJC

CarolCJC

Hi Ferek,
    Do the Eevee materials only work in Unity HDRP?

YevhenKut likes this.
  6. JaneCCentric

JaneCCentric

does this still work? i have tried and i think i must have done something wrong because i have 150 errors and no UniGLTF on my toolbar

CloudyVR likes this.
  7. SapphireAssets

SapphireAssets

I followed this to the T. If this did work it no longer works now or there is something missing that they didn't mention.

CloudyVR likes this.
  8. WiltorSN

WiltorSN

how do i do that?