Search Unity

Can anyone help with 3 VR questions please.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JDrem1, Dec 8, 2017.

1. JDrem1

JDrem1

HI. I have tried for hours, but cant seem to solve these issues.

1. Is there any way to use the Standard assets camera in place of the Steam VR cam rig, in any locomotion within VR,. Porting or full locomotion.
    When designing levels I use M&K/standard assets first-person-controller/camera. And get decent frame rate. But as soon as I swap to Steam Cam-rig my frame rate is destroyed.

Can anyone help with a solution to this please?

And if there are no VR locomotion solutions that do not absolutely require the Steam VR cam-rig.
    Is there any way to increase the speed of this camera. I have tried in quality settings but it made very little difference.

2, How do you increase the far clipping plane with Steam VR cam-rig?

3. Does anyone know of a full locomotion solution, that does not require the navmesh to be baked. And so keeping the user stuck to the ground.
    I have played quite a few games where the player can fall off ledges and cliffs etc.
    But I cannot seem to find a (none namesh baking system) that is available for development.

I am not yet able to script. I just thought I would throw this in here, in case the only solutions were me writing code.

I appreciate any help to any or all of these questions.
    I'm pretty lost here.

2. JDrem1

JDrem1

I'm just curious.

Were my questions above ⤴ unsolvable?

Or the 38 folks who viewed it couldn't, didn't want to, help?

No rudeness here, whatsoever. I am never rude.
    But In all the times I have posted polite, and what I though legitimate questions on the Unity forums, I have had just one answer.:oops:

I really hope someone can help, even with just one of the queries.
    Thanks. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. Jayjays

Jayjays

I think this is the problem with AR/VR development that there's not enough support. We need good quality tutorials

4. JDrem1

JDrem1

I totally agree.

But also wish that the Unity devs would give some updated love to the VR integration.
    Its utterly fantastic, but just lacks a few integral options. Like there is no direct Vive (steam VR) option in Unity player settings. (like there is for Oculus.)
    And when I set single pass stereo it goes haywire. So I always have to have it on multi.

Also, when the Steam camrig is massively (for me anyway) slower than Unities standard assets cam for VR.
    Maybe an update is required.

I'm not complaining about Unity. I utterly love it. Just want some TLC for VR (and Vive)

I'm also a little surprised at the lack of feedback from users on the forums. I think its a brilliant community in every way, except the general and subforums "information feedback" threads.
    This thread has now had 70 views, and your the only person who has taken the time to respond. :eek:

I appreciate it. :)

5. nat42

nat42

Number of views doesn't mean much especially when the thread title gives very little suggestion of the nature of the thread. For example I clicked and am pretty much only interested in Cardboard, and am certainly no expert in it (and then I closed the thread, and went back to it after deciding to write this response generating a couple more views, views != people)

I beg to differ. I don't want to start a fight but posting a thread with a generic title and complaining when people don't go out of there way to help is a tinsy bit rude in my book, whether you intended it to be is another matter ofcourse but I am genuinely sick of seeing people bump their threads with comments to the effect of "So I guess no one knows either" or "So I guess the community is bad because no one wants to help me" - it comes off as a bad attitude to me.

6. JDrem1

JDrem1

Chuckle.. I will keep this as polite, and respectful as I can. (and breath) But maybe a little satirical. :cool:

Opening a thread. with utterly no intention of helping. In fact with the sole purpose of being patronising, rude, and inflammatory... really.

There is a old adage that when someone says "I dont meant to funny / rude / argumentative etc.... But..."
    It is exactly what they do intend.

If you dont like a thread, dont read it. Its not mandatory.
    I am positive there are many many that you would now agree with.
    Read and help. or dont. But being provocative for the sake of it..... :rolleyes:

So I would suggest that before you start calling others "rude," and complaining "how sick others make you," by writing in their own threads, that they created.
    Have a look at your own attitude first.

As to the title.. It says what it is, 3 questions on VR. (please)

One last little tip,
    You obviously are not aware of. Mousing over a title in the Unity forum, will show the first few lines of the thread.
    This will alleviate the gruelling, and exhausting strain of clicking the mouse button to open the offending thread, and again to exit.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day. :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  7. nat42

nat42

I was trying to offer help, in the form of suggestion as to why you may not have gotten the answers you were hoping for.

So this means that you were intentionally being rude in your 2nd post in the thread then?

I explained why I read it. This section of the forum is not specific to Steam VR while your questions were. Myself I am looking at Cardboard VR.

I wasn't complaining that I wasted my time viewing your thread (though obviously I wasted it attempting to offer the one insight I had) - YOU were the one that made a big deal over the number of people that had viewed your thread

8. JDrem1

JDrem1

I am honestly not sure why you, or anyone would come onto a genuine thread, or any thread asking for help on a specific topic. (Unfortunately on my thread. And one that had already had no joy,) And rub salt into the wound just for "the hell of it."

I did not ask for, nor do I enjoy these type of debates.
    I politely asked for help. I did not ask for a full scale critique, on every word I wrote,- (both in the body of the OP and the title.) -for making another polite comment on my own unsuccessful thread.
    If I could delete the thread I would.
    So I will say this and then I am done with it.

If you seriously believe that anything of your post was... And I quote-- "I was trying to offer help," -- You are very much mistaken.

Re-read your original post on this thread. Nothing... Nothing about it was "trying to help."
    Why anyone would (unless trolling) go onto a thread include the line... "I don't want to start a fight but"
    Followed by,...
    "I am genuinely sick of seeing people bump their threads with comments to the effect"
    And-
    "So I guess the community is bad because no one wants to help me" - it comes off as a bad attitude to me."

And then say they were trying to help.
    Patronise = yes, Provoke = yes, Help = nope.

I was satirical in my answer to you, because I did not want to be unpleasant.

But discourse like this, and replying to someone who obviously just wanted to cause friction, makes posting on the forums even more of a challenge.

I am now un-subbing un-watching (my own) post.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  9. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Not sure why there is a page of stuff on here with everything but answers, but here is my suggestion.

1) As far as I am aware of no, but why would you want to? The steam-camera rig gives excellent frame rate. If your frame rate is suffering, my experience suggests that there are things you need to check: 1)use if possible 2017 unity, this solved 95% of my problems. Unity made major imprivements to the vr setup in 2017 from unity 5.6 So much so I restarted making my game from scratch to take advantage of it. The next is everything being rendered at once with no culling enabled. That will kill you.

2)The clipping plane mod is located in the camera head if you are using steam vr cam rig. there is another in the eyes.

3) Not that I am aware, however you can simply make a fake ground, using simple planes and just hide the render mesh then navmesh that.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

I HAVE to put my comment on this! English is not my native language, so sorry for any grammar errors.

1.st YOU STARTED a fight by typing such nonsense, instead of helping or ignoring the post.

People who refer in such way like you did mostly have personal conflicts with the outer world based on bad happenings, which only shows that YOU have a problem and not the one who wonders why no one is answering his post after so many views. In the end only you have revealed yourself. (and now someone else is getting personal - but this time about you! And don't answer by saying you've not been personal to Dayn1!)

and if you would stand in front of comedians, who outrageous say their opinion, like Triumph The Insult Comic Dog he would give you a simple answer, like "You are an idiot!" Not, that I mean it. I'm just trying to imagine what the reaction would be of others who are not ashamed to pragmatically voice their opinion. Sue me! xD But honestly, come on, since your first post you missed the actual topic. Only your personal conflict over a sentence is contribution enough!

I was writing this to balance the approaches, cause as you see there is always another opinion and I am sure it doesn't feel good if your post gets doomed by someone else. Therefore, it's not very wise to start questioning others statements. This post of mine serves also to show how such a chain reaction proceeds, and at the same time it does nothing good to anyone. And as you see also not to you! Now the typical counterreaction is to 1st make clear that you don't feel offended and then to throw any other reasons to disassemble my opinion. But the best would be now to leave that thread in peace and to accept the chain reaction of personal disagreements! ;)

be neutral, let others be....or help!

Merry Christmas!

As it already happend, beowulfkaine has given answers.
    Unfortunately I am new to VR so I read almost every post that I can find to learn about it.

UPDATE: I have created this account especially for this post, because I have running serious business to take care of and can't risk any official disagreements. And no this account has NOT being created by Dayn1. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2017
  11. Soybeen

Soybeen

I come from a different forum for a different engine with 20,000+ posts in helping people to diagnose their Lua script issues and to help brainstorm Lua solutions. The forum was predominantly populated with newbie coders, and I was like one of 5 regulars who met answers to hundreds of inquiries daily.

What I'm getting at is that I'm something like a seasoned veteran when it comes to forum-based tech support rudeness on both ends of the spectrum.

Here is what I've learned:
    If you are the questioner and you're seeking help from people who aren't paid to help you, then any help you get (or don't get) is free, and you can't really be mad at free.

There are so many reasons why a thread viewer might turn away that it's not even worth considering more than a few possibilities.
    That being said, the reasons I will sometimes not answer a post include the following:

- the asker's question could be vague or non-specific
    - the asker might have a limited understanding of what they're talking about, and the answer wouldn't grow their knowledge
    - their question is long and I don't have the time/energy
    - I have the same question as them and don't know the answer
    - I wasn't online to answer them

After not getting a response for a while, if you're going to bump, do so with a SHORT and SIMPLE clarification of your issue and question to hopefully resolve any of the first 3 turn-offs I mentioned. As for the latter 2... what is anybody gonna realistically do about them? lol..

Also, engaging in argument helps nobody when it's not relevant to finding the answer, and I have wasted about a zillion keystrokes on exhausting forum battles that lead nowhere. There's really no reason for it. You could spend that time working... or searching for your answer in other places.

EDIT: I didn't realize that I was bumping something so old, sorry, hope you found the answer