Search Unity

Camera.WorldToScreenPoint Offsets Vertically with Orthographic Camera

Discussion in '2D' started by RedVonix, Jan 30, 2021.

1. RedVonix

RedVonix

I'm attempting to grab a texture of a single object on the screen to replace that object with a plane that has the texture applied. I've written code that will grab the object with a RenderTexture, however the resulting image is always offset vertically. The issue appears to be with WorldToScreenPoint giving strange results. I've attempted a number of fixes including ensuring everything has the same Z coordinate, but no luck. I'm also drawing a box around the object in WorldSpace coordinates to be certain the positions are accurate.

Here is what the camera sees.
    upload_2021-1-30_16-27-10.png

And here is what the final texture looks like. It should match the square surrounding the object.
    upload_2021-1-30_16-27-41.png

Here is my code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     private IEnumerator RenderTarget()
    2.     {
    3.         Bounds worldBounds = spineSkeletonAnimToRender.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().bounds;
    5.         Vector3 worldBottomLeft = new Vector3(worldBounds.min.x, worldBounds.min.y, 0f);
    6.         Vector3 worldTopLeft = new Vector3(worldBounds.min.x, worldBounds.max.y, 0f);
    7.         Vector3 worldTopRight = new Vector3(worldBounds.max.x, worldBounds.max.y, 0f);
    8.         Vector3 worldBottomRight = new Vector3(worldBounds.max.x, worldBounds.min.y, 0f);
    10.        // Draw a box around the target object for debugging.
    11.         Debug.DrawLine(worldBottomLeft, worldTopLeft, Color.blue, 10f);
    12.         Debug.DrawLine(worldTopLeft, worldTopRight, Color.red, 10f);
    13.         Debug.DrawLine(worldTopRight, worldBottomRight, Color.green, 10f);
    14.         Debug.DrawLine(worldBottomRight, worldBottomLeft, Color.yellow, 10f);
    16.         Vector2 screenTopRight = shatterRenderCamera.WorldToScreenPoint(worldTopRight);
    17.         Vector2 screenBottomRight = shatterRenderCamera.WorldToScreenPoint(worldBottomRight);
    18.         Vector2 screenBottomLeft = shatterRenderCamera.WorldToScreenPoint(worldBottomLeft);
    20.         shatterRenderCamera.targetTexture = new RenderTexture(Screen.width, Screen.height, 32);
    22.         // First render....
    23.         shatterRenderCamera.Render();
    24.         yield return frameEnd;
    26.         // After rendering, set that texture as the active render texture, and grab the pixels
    27.         RenderTexture.active = shatterRenderCamera.targetTexture;
    29.             Texture2D finalTexture = new Texture2D(Mathf.RoundToInt(screenBottomRight.x - screenBottomLeft.x), Mathf.RoundToInt(screenTopRight.y - screenBottomRight.y), TextureFormat.RGBA32, false);
    30.             finalTexture.ReadPixels(new Rect(screenBottomLeft.x, screenBottomLeft.y, screenBottomRight.x - screenBottomLeft.x, screenTopRight.y - screenBottomRight.y), 0, 0, false);
    31.             finalTexture.Apply();
    33.             renderedTexture = finalTexture;
    34.         RenderTexture.active = null;
    35.         shatterRenderCamera.targetTexture = null;
    36.     }
    38.     public Rect GetCurrentRectBoundsForSkeleton()
    39.     {
    40.         float[] vertexBuffer = null;
    41.         spineSkeletonAnimToRender.skeleton.GetBounds(out float boundsX, out float boundsY, out float boundsWidth, out float boundsHeight, ref vertexBuffer);
    43.         return new Rect(boundsX + transform.position.x, boundsY + transform.position.y, boundsWidth, boundsHeight);
    44.     }
    I'm pretty baffled at this point as to why it is offset and could use some advice. Thanks in advance!

2. RedVonix

RedVonix

Got this resolved thanks to xEvilReeperx from the Unity Discord. I had some values inverted. The fix is as such:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var width = Mathf.RoundToInt(screenBottomRight.x - screenBottomLeft.x);
    2. var height = Mathf.RoundToInt(screenTopRight.y - screenBottomRight.y);
    3. var srcx = screenBottomLeft.x;
    4. var srcy = Screen.height - screenTopRight.y;
    5. Texture2D finalTexture = new Texture2D(width, height, TextureFormat.RGBA32, false);
    6. finalTexture.ReadPixels(new Rect(srcx, srcy, width, height), 0, 0, false);