Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera stutters in a simple rotation?!

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JanDawid, Mar 5, 2016.

1. pistoleta

pistoleta

Did you finally solve this ?

2. JanDawid

JanDawid

This is quite an old thread but generally I've found to get smooth rotations if using a Lerp function and including Time.deltaTime in the third parameter like this:

Vector3.Lerp(Vectot3, Vector3, Time.deltaTime * floatSpeed);

And I've found this to work best in LateUpdate() for camera movements, especially if following a character so you'd want to wait for other movements that it relies on to be finished for that frame.

In terms of working with physics-based objects, using Interpolate on the RigidBody components will help a lot.

However I will note that stuttering can happen regardless when using the Unity Editor, especially if certain windows are open in the Editor. Check your builds for the most consistent results.

3. pistoleta

pistoleta

I didn't realize your problem was with the camera, my problem is with the shadows stuttering, I wonder if that you mentioned about using rigid bodies might work for me.
    Here is my problem:
    (last post)
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/directional-light-shadows-flickering-issue.672094/

4. robertseegrist

robertseegrist

Using LTS 2022 and the Input System. Had severe stutter with mouse controlled rotation:
    playerTransform.Rotate(0.0f, lookInput.x * horizontalSensitivity * Time.deltaTime, 0.0f)

Removing Time.deltaTime fixed the problem.
    playerTransform.Rotate(0.0f, lookInput.x * horizontalSensitivity, 0.0f)