Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Camera stuttering sometimes when attached to moving object

Discussion in 'Physics' started by CortiWins, Jun 1, 2019.

1. CortiWins

CortiWins

Hello friends of unity!

I'm building a moving platform.It's a cube.
    It has a box collider to stand on.
    It has a box collider with IsTrigger set to true.
    When the player triggers the collider, he is attached to the moving platform by making the platform his parent. ( Like i saw people do in Tutorials )
    Moving with the platform with the player works fine.

However, when the platform moves up, the camera sometimes stutters a little as if the player is colliding with the platform and i dont know why, because he should be moving with the platform as it's child object, right?

2. Edy

Edy

If your character has a rigidbody then the parenthood relationship has no effect. Maybe the platform is causing the physics to de-penetrate the capsule from the platform, causing the stutter.

If that's the case, then a possible solution may be moving the platform with Rigidbody.MovePosition from FixedUpdate. This way the physics should have the effect you expect.

3. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Another solution is not to snap the camera into place, but lerping/smoothing it there.

4. CortiWins

CortiWins

I didn't exactly find my problem, but a solution instead.

Physics.SyncTransforms() eleminated the stutter. I had the option set that should auto-sync all stuff anyway, but that doesn't seem to work, so this is required in my case. I got the idea when i remembered why my teleport-script had failed.

Edy likes this.
unityunity