Search Unity

Bug Camera stack causes a huge drop in FPS (Quest 2/Vulkan/URP)

Discussion in 'VR' started by weiner_monkey, Sep 2, 2022.

1. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

Unity 2021.3.8 LTS, URP 12.7, Oculus plugin 3.0.2

This is possibly a bug, I have 2 cameras in my scene, first added as an overlay camera to the base camera stack. Scene is empty, no post-processing or meshes.

I get 68-75 while the overlay camera is added to the stack. Once I change it from overlay to base, I get a constant 90 FPS. Anyone encountered this or know of a fix?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

90 fps is limited. You might be running 95 or 200 fps under the hood, so check gpu usage in OVR Metrics.

Having an overlay camera means there now are 2 cameras doing the whole render process, so it indeed can be taxing. Maybe use a shader to get the results you want

3. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

Yes its limited to 90 FPS, and in both scenarios Im using 2 cameras, once as an base + overlay and once as base + base. Nothing in the scene so it shouldnt be taxing as Ive ran much much more demanding scenes on the Quest 2 (multiple cameras) without Vulkan and URP at 90 FPS. The point is just having an overlay camera is dropping FPS by a huge amount.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Check the profiler in that case. If it's really the overlay part then make a bug report

5. weiner_monkey

weiner_monkey

Yep I did, its completely taken up by URP culling and rendering

DevDunk likes this.