Search Unity

Camera size and UI

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JaimieVos, Sep 11, 2020.

1. JaimieVos

JaimieVos

Hi! I have a script that changes my 2d game camera orthographic size based on what aspect/resolution your playing the game on. The only problem is, my UI doesn't move with it. So how it is when I am playing on my default resolution:

But when I change the resolution/aspect, my camera script scales the orthographic size good but the UI doesn't go with it:

How can I fix this?

2. Brathnann

Brathnann

If your UI is built off the canvas UI system, you should look into how your canvas scales with the screen size and you may have to adjust your anchoring on the UI elements.

3. VishwasGagrani

VishwasGagrani

You can have two cameras. First camera (orthographic) will show the UI . Another camera ( orthographic or perspective ) will show the game. The UI camera will overlay the game camera.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You can achieve this fully with regular UI and anchoring, no extra UI cameras or silliness like that needed. Extra cameras will get you nothing but extra bugs here.

Question: do you want the shape of the playfield to change when the aspect ratio changes? Or do you want it to be fixed aspect ratio and then contained within?

To achieve various answers to the above, you can change the anchoring, change the Canvas Scaler "Screen Match Mode", use AspectRatioFitter and "fit in parent," and many other subtleties of UI design.

Here is a key workflow hint: choose how you want it to fit, set the game view to that (say 4:3 aspect). Put all the pieces where you want.

Now change the view to 16:9 aspect and note how they change. While at first it may seem mysterious, it will be 100% consistent based on anchors, scale modes, parent relationships, aspect ratios, etc. All of that affects it.

You can even put anchors and AspectRatioFitters on certain sub areas of your UI to precisely control relative sizes.

5. JaimieVos

JaimieVos

Thanks, this worked for me!