Search Unity

Camera.Render to render texture massive memory leak 2017.4.2f2

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by madpuppet, Aug 24, 2018.

1. madpuppet

madpuppet

I'm doing hundreds of Camera.Render's to renderTexture to calculate visibility information from positions on the map.

This is causing the editor (or standalones) to reach 30gig of memory and crash - goes up by a gig every few seconds...

Its just a tight loop of code that moves the camera to different points and directions and takes snapshots which are copied back to memory for processing.

Code (CSharp):
    1.                                         // render the single mesh using a material override
    2.                                         map.ShowAllButMesh(tx, tz);
    3.                                         camera.Render();
    5.                                         // grab copy of single mesh render
    6.                                         RenderTexture.active = m_camera.targetTexture;
    7.                                         renderCopy.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, m_camera.targetTexture.width, m_camera.targetTexture.height), 0, 0);
    8.                                         var meshColor = renderCopy.GetPixels32();
    To get around the problem, I've had to put it in as a coroutine and do yield; instead of camera.Render(), which is a bit slower since you waste the remainder of the frame, instead of rendering more images.

When I reduce to loop count so it doesn't crash, the profiler shows the GFXDriver is hogging 13gigs or more of ram and that is not released until I close the editor completely and reopen it.

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Post the whole method. It's probably because you're not disposing the created texure copy properly.

3. madpuppet

madpuppet

its leaking memory in that inner loop running that code above over and over. Is there some reason I can't run those 5 lines of code and over and over without losing memory?

If I remove the "camera.Render" the leak goes away.

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

Well, you should try to replace it then with Graphics.Blit or CommandBuffer.Blit.
    Seems like you've already got RenderTexture up an running, shouldn't be much of a problem.

unityunity