Search Unity

Camera-relative rendering for URP just as in HDRP

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by BaronBoese, Nov 10, 2019.

1. BaronBoese

BaronBoese

Hi Everybody,

I actually almost finished a tiny space combat game for the Oculus GO in which I had to apply some tricks:
    • Floating origin to get rid of graphical jitter(tremors) for being far offcenter. That of course causes a headache when moving tons of physics objects every few seconds.
    • Using Jobs for my projectile systems and some other aspects, since all my MonoBehaviours and GameObjects got a bit too much for the GO.
    So for my next iteration of that game I would have loved to use DOTS and URP together with Unity Physics or Havok.

I am just wondering since camera-relative rendering would remove my need of using a floating origin. (precision of physics far offcenter is still sufficient while it is not for graphics)

tl;dr:
    Is Camera-relative rendering for URP really being worked on? Here it says that it is "In research".
    Is this still the case? Any hint when it might come?

Right now it doesn't seem to work so I am a bit unsure if i should count on it.

Sincerely,
    Simon

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. Marks4

Marks4

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  3. BaronVonMonster

BaronVonMonster

@ali_mohebali @AljoshaD I'm also gonna chip in here and ask about this as I'm working on a project similar to BaronBoese's. There's not really been any new information on this stuff for a long time and it would be good to get an update on Camera-relative rendering for URP.

It could save potentially months of work for my team and allow us to spend more time polishing features rather than dealing with the floating origin jitter issues.

bluescrn likes this.
  4. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

Hi @BaronVonMonster and @Marks4, Camera-relative rendering is currently under consideration on our roadmap, it is a feature we would like to add to URP especially to solve larger worlds rendering with URP. But for clarity, we are not actively working on and it is not in our roadmap for 23 releases. Our current focus is generally on remaining feature gaps against the Built-in pipeline and performance of URP.

This is indeed confusing. In the pipeline feature comparison table here we have mentioned that it's not supported in URP. I am asking the team to update URP docs to reflect the state correctly as well.

guneyozsan likes this.
  5. BaronVonMonster

BaronVonMonster

That's a bit disappointing but thank you for the update.

We had to move from HDRP to URP for (mostly) performance reasons and this was one of the key things that caused issues after the switch. At least now I know I'll have to move resources onto a world shifting system to account for the problem.