Search Unity

Camera Questions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Luca91, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Luca91

Luca91

Hello dear mates, after publishing a couple of games developed with unity I've now a big question about the camera :confused:

In every game that I've released I've added a menu to let people able to change game resolution. Now I've noticed that on bigger resolution is possible to see some parts of my models that isn't possible to see on low resolution.
    Since on of my game is static (I mean that it is set on a single room with a fixed camera), I'm afraid that on bigger resolution is possible to see the skybox (around the room)..

Is this true ? is there any way to fix this ?

A possible solution would be to let the player able to select just a fixed range of resolutions, avoiding that on bigger resolution the game would be screwed up by the camera..

Thanks for the help :)

2. renman3000

renman3000

Well, first, test yourself in any resolution shoes the Skybox. If it does, adjust the cam zoom.

3. Luca91

Luca91

Yep but is possible to dynamically adjust the camera to fit the selected resolution ?

4. halley

halley

Do you mean resolution, or do you mean field of view?

Resolution differences would be the number of pixels available, so tiny details show up or don't show up.

Field of view is the angle shown within the camera's frustrum. Usually the FOV marks the horizontal angle, but clearly both angles are important to know what you can and cannot see from a given camera.

Screens have different aspect ratios. The aspect ratio is the fraction that you get when you divide width by height. For 2D applications with square pixels (most modern displays), you can use the pixel dimensions (aka resolution). This may be where you're using that term. 1920/1080 = 1.777 = 16:9.

Different screens, phones or tablets may have very different aspect ratios. If you adjust your FOV to fit the screen's width, then the screen may show more or less than you wanted in the vertical direction. This is the same problem that TV vs movie screens faced, and they fixed it with letterboxing, pillarboxing, pan/scan, overshooting or squishing the picture to fit a different screen. Each of those methods has its drawbacks but it's up to you to decide what to do for your game.