Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Feedback Camera preview not showing when I select my camera, bad idea!

Discussion in 'Unity 6 Beta' started by APSchmidt, Nov 18, 2023.

1. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

So, now selecting the camera in the hierarchy no longer toggles the camera preview, to toggle it, we need to do so in the "overlays" menu. Please bring back the previous behaviour! Thank you.

You may keep the camera preview not disappearing when we deselect the camera though, it could be useful.

There is also another problem with the camera preview. The yellow thing you see in the middle of the camera preview on the image below is my desktop wallpaper behind the editor...

Capture d’écran_2023-11-18_14-06-58.jpg

Marks4 likes this.
  2. Marks4

Marks4

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    APSchmidt likes this.
  3. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Hopefully someone will do something about that.

Marks4 likes this.
  4. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Not fixed in 0a18. What you see behind the cube on the image is Visual Studio open just behind the editor.

Capture d’écran_2023-12-25_14-14-56.jpg

5. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but throwing out a couple ideas of the issue.

Couple things came to my mind with this.
    Also might want to mention if this is with a render pipeline or cinemachine enabled.

The Hierarchy changes where some of the selection functions were moved over to a newer API in Alpha 17.
    Talking about moving stuff to menu.AddItem in the SceneHiearchy C# class.

Could be related to an annoying bug about serialization and the inspector not repainting and updating certain things.
    For weeks now certain classes are not updating their serialized values in the inspector both in 2023.2 and 2023.3.

Try turning on use IMGUI for inspector in the editor settings. This has fixed a lot of bugs in both scene view selection and just selected assets not updating the inspector and calling selection events properly.

Just throwing out things that came to my mind.

6. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Thanks for bothering. :)

I just found the cause of the problem: for some reason the camera background colour alpha channel was set to 0 and I have no idea how this happened. It wasn't before I upgraded my project to Unity Alpha.

Problem solved then!

Capture d’écran_2023-12-26_18-45-45.jpg

7. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

I still would love to have an option "show camera preview on camera selection", please. Thank you.

DiaryChris likes this.
  8. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Now I know it wasn't my fault. I just created a 2D project and the camera background colour alpha channel is set to 0.

Capture d’écran_2023-12-29_23-09-11.png

9. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

So I created a new project and my setting was correct.

Are you using URP for your project. I noticed the camera doesn't have some of the URP settings.?
    When testing this I created a URP project not a BIRP project.

10. DiaryChris

DiaryChris

Me too.