Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera Path Animator 3.0 - Animate in Unity with Ease

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jasperstocker, Feb 10, 2014.

1. sgauc

sgauc

Hi jasperstocker,

Thank you for your work and this great product! I'm having the same problem, and I need to work with DX11. Are there any updates on this? Disabling the preview doesn't fix the issue.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hi stefkiourk,
    The issue is logged with Unity but it looks like they'll be ignoring it - don't know.
    I'll take a look into finding a solution but if you're not afraid of code - I imagine removing references to RenderTextures to the animator and path editor files would solve it. I'll be trying that out today.

3. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

The latest version of Camera Path has hit the store. This is a fairly mixed update but I'll cover most of the new features.
    The first thing to note is I've rewritten some of the core of CPA so we can work nicely with prefabs, copy paste and Unity serialisation. This unfortunately breaks back compatibility with CPA 3.0x but there is a way to upgrade your paths if you need to. Export you paths as XML before you update (it does appear you can do this after update, but it's a little less stable on that path and crazy things can happen). Once you have your XML, update to 3.12 and then create a new camera path (delete the old one) The import your path and everything should hook up.
    I've added a couple of demos, a 2D Demo, an FPS Intro and an example of controlling camera path with the keyboard which were user requests over the last month.
    I've put some work into the point sliders and they work really well now. There has also been extensive work on the Third Person Follow scripts to make it more robust and to cope with 2D animations where paths might end up being 65 kilometers long! Haha.
    Remember to back up your projects before you update.
    Enjoy.

4. bfowle

bfowle

Hi--
    Thanks for the quick 2D patch!
    It would be nice to get the FOV working for orthographic (either orthographic size or "pixels per meter" for tk2d) as the FOV setting doesn't work for 2D. :)
    One of the (minor) bugs I have noticed this time around is with typing in the X/Y/Z values of the point positions; deleting/pasting work, but typing actual characters in does not respond. Also, if focused in say- the Z and switching a point position the proper Z value is not replaced.
    Thanks Cheers~

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Thanks bfowle - I'll look into these points over the weekend. :)

6. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

These issues are live in the store - forgot to update! :)

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If I import Camera Path 3.13 (no other versions in project) and create a camera path, Unity slows down to a crawl.
    I have to wait 10 seconds or so for every action to take effect.

Edit:
    I get this error when importing:

Assets/CameraPath3/Examples/Scripts/CPEFPSInputController.js(1,21): BCE0018: The name 'CPECharacterMotor' does not denote a valid type ('not found').

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Hmm - I am seeing a slow response when first clicking on CPA after import but it seems to be a one time thing. I'll look into that. Not seeing a continuous slowdown though. Any more information. Step by step, what scene are you opening? Have you tried a blank project? Thanks for the error I'll look into that too

9. WhiteThunder94

WhiteThunder94

Hi i buy Camera Path Animator, but i have a question, start the video sequence made ​​with Camerapath I want to end of the video sequence i can use the FPS controller and start to playing, how i do that?

10. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Check out the demo included called FPS Intro - it does what you want and is a simple scene

11. WhiteThunder94

WhiteThunder94

i see but i use UFPS controller and when i set all i see the weapon in my camera path video scene and when end i have two camera weapon.

this is what happens:

hands are seen during the whole animation thing that should not happen since they are the ''weapon'' of the player when the animation ends my hands in front of the fencing but those are the ones that command more 'forward

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  12. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I think that's more of an issue with how UFPS is working rather than Camera Path.

13. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Is there a way to take a prebroken object, move along a path into a wall and detach the parts to use physics? (asteroid on oath flys into wall, smashes into remade bits that are each a physics object)

14. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Sure but it would involve some code. I'd suggest animating the whole thing in (physics off) and add an event at the right point just before the collision. Turn the physics on. You could then sample the speed of the animation at that point and apply a corresponding force to the rigidbodies so the collision would occur correctly.
    does that make sense?

15. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Makes total sense, great idea thanks. I was thinking collision of objets, but like your suggestion of a force as well

16. Molla

Molla

Hello, there. I'm having a problem when importing the asset, it gives me this error:

Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/FPSInputController.js(1,21): BCE0018: The name 'CharacterMotor' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'PixelCrushers.DialogueSystem.CharacterType'?

I'm unable to use my third person or first person character controller because of this.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  17. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

This script is not within the Camera Path asset.
    There might be a conflict in the CameraPath3/Examples folder so delete that if you don't need it.

18. Molla

Molla

Thanks for the prompt reply! It worked, though I had to first import your asset, delete the examples folder and then import the character controller. :D

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  19. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I think you need to reimport the Character Controllers in Standard Assets. I think I know what's causing this and I'm applying a fix to Camera Path this week to resolve it. There seems to be a GUID mixup with Camera Path scripts and some Standard Assets. I think I'm also going to move to included Examples as an unitypackage that you can choose to import within the Camera Path package.

20. Molla

Molla

Sorry, I edited my post, I did the steps a bit differently and that's what was still causing the error.

21. Molla

Molla

Another question. I'm currently using an FPS controller, every time that I want to start the camera it does nothing with the main camera. When I add the fps's main camera as an object after it stops doing the path animation my fps controller stops working, I can't move the character. Thanks.

22. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Could you PM/Email me with your invoice number and more information? Export your Camera Path out as XML (Options, Export as XML) would really help. I don't have a lot to work with from this support request apart from "it's not working" :confused:.
    Thanks

23. dimych1990

dimych1990

Hey, awesome package. Thank you :D
    Question: is it possible to let the camera on 3rd person view jump from one spline to another. like an crossroad with 4 pissible ways and 2 splines :D
    Thx in advance

24. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Of course but you can code that yourself. :p Just modify the CPEPlayerPathFollow.cs to have two paths and use the one with the closest value with Vector3.Distance.

25. dimych1990

dimych1990

Nice, thx for the quick reply :)
    Awwww man, Ian an artist xD could you just "quick" Do it for me ;)
    It would be awesome

Btw, its really a camera System I have looked so long for it :)

26. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

I *might* have time tomorrow but I'm super busy right now looking after a little'un and getting ready to move countries in two weeks! So much to do! :D
    PM me an invoice number so I can provide if I get to do it...

27. mruce

mruce

Hi, I just purchased Camera Path and started to toying with it a bit, and I came across a problem. I'm trying to build a path with variable speed (using speed points) and then play it using Seek method (I'd like to have another object that controls progress of camera animation). But when I use seeking, variable information semms to be ignored. Is there a way to make it work as I intended?

Thanks,

28. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Dear mruse,
    The seek method will take you to a percentage point on a path. It would not take into account speed points because that's based on time and distance. I'd advise taking a look at how the Animator component works and going from there.
    Jasper

29. Snipper

Snipper

How do you create events at specific points? How can you have a script in another gameobject receive that broadcast? Also how can you post pictures on how to get the path animator to call sendmessage?

30. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

At the moment you can't create events at points but the animator does fire point specific events.
    Check out the event example and the JS event example as it covers your second two questions. :)

31. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Just a small note that I'm in the process of moving countries at the moment so I'm going to be a little slower at replying to emails, fixing anything that needs attention and so on. I really appreciate your patience during this time but I'll be back to 100% by end of June
    Jasper

32. NickHVenden

NickHVenden

HI Jasper,
    Your CameraPathAnimator is a fine piece of work. Thank you.
    Are there example code (snippets) which will demonstrate the methods such as play, pause, stop, etc.?
    I just want a simple OnTriggerEnter event to call these methods. As you can tell, I'm not very experienced. Just point me to a group of snippets that I can study.
    Nick Venden CSULong Beach CA. Cole Conservatory grad student.

33. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    well i need the Camera to be Orthographic and change the FOV but i only can use 180° max.
    How can i change the limit ? My max limit is 384 for pixel perfect view.
    I thought i would work now with 2D...

34. Meceka

Meceka

Hello,

I've just begun using your asset. And it looks like it can be used this to make basic Traffic AI. Also it looks that with background of this asset you could easly make a new asset with converting this asset to make an asset exclusively for Traffic AI. It's just my recommendation, thanks.

35. Fourthings

Fourthings

How can I go about altering the animation speed at runtime?

I have a rigidbody object following a sphere that is acting as the "camera" and animating down the path, I need to speed up/slow down the sphere's animation speed depending on the rigidbody's velocity.

Thanks for a great package!

36. Leanimal

Leanimal

Is it possible to animate multiple objects at the same time for the same path?

37. Klarax

Klarax

im getting BCE0018: The name 'CPECharacterMotor' does not denote a valid type ('not found').

this occurred after extracting the examples. seemed to compile before this with no errors. any ideas ?

Update: Removed both folders relating to camera path, the example folder and original folder. Error still remains and broke S***z ;S

good thing i had a backup.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  38. chaneya

chaneya

Hello,

I'm enjoying using Camera Path. I just updated to the latest version 3.3 and was hoping it would fix an issue I'm having but it did not so I'm hoping you can offer a suggestion for the following:

I have 2 Events points setup on my camera path. The first Event turns on some particle effects with sound effects and the second Event point further down the path, turns them off. My path is set to loop. Running in the Editor, these Events fire as expected....most of the time. However when I deploy to my Ipad 3 for testing, the Events are only fired on the first run through the loop. All subsequent runs through the loop, the Events are not fired. And although I say they work in the Editor, the fact is if I move the Event point locations in the Inspector, the Events have a tendency to break. It's like once i have the Events setup, I don't want to touch them again for fear of breaking them. But on the Ipad, the Events will not fire more than once. And I should mention my Event Type is a Call with None chosen on Event Argument.

Allan

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  39. ldl01031

ldl01031

Ditto for me on this. A fix would be appreciated.

40. pinkman

pinkman

it says that the camera follow is like Crash Bandicoot's Camera when it's not -_- , how can you explain that @jasperstocker ? please , because the camera follow ,follows the player ONLY from the sides(like GOD OF WAR) but not from the back of the player ! , please help man , thanks

41. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

There is a value you can specify in the follow script that places the camera behind the value. Or you could just place it yourself.

42. pajamajama

pajamajama

Hey Jasper, cool interface. I'm digging working with this library.

One issue though. My camera animation seems a little laggy in play. I'm using a powerful machine and there isn't very much going on in my scene. Is there an interpolation step value I can bump up somewhere? For my purposes I need a very smooth animation. Let me know if you need any more info. Thank you!

43. Bentoon

Bentoon

Hello Jasper
    Thank you for the great work> I'm having a ball and will ask proper questions in the next few

Just a note I am getting the same:
    "Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/FPSInputController.js(1,21): BCE0018: The name 'CPECharacterMotor' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). "
    deleting doesn't help

cheers
    ~be

44. Bentoon

Bentoon

Here's a quick question, Jasper

I want to stop an animated path and wait for an event (mouseClick) that will,
    a) continue with the path
    b) go to a completely New camera path

Looking for a C# script. Any ideas? Going through the documentation...
    cheers
    ~be

45. jasperstocker

jasperstocker

Yes, in options you can untick the autocalculation and set a value yourself.

@Bentoon, delete the Examples folder and update to the latest version, that should fix issues.
    The events example script will give you all the code you need to deal with events and controlling the path.

46. Bentoon

Bentoon

Thanks J. for the prompt response!
    I thought I did just that, but will try again and check the Examples

47. JDuaneJ

JDuaneJ

Hey Jasper, I'm trying to create a shot with the camera not moving...currently I'm using a very long delay, but how would you recommend achieving a still shot? Thanks.

48. OnePxl

OnePxl

I don't know how it works in Camera Path Animator, but in normal curve animation you would use double keyframes, set to the same position at the start of the shot and end of the shot so the camera doesn't move. You double them up at both ends to eliminate the easing of the curves, IIRC.

49. JDuaneJ

JDuaneJ

That would work in a normal timeline animation, but unfortunately I can't set it up that way with CPA.

50. AYFukushima

AYFukushima

Hi!
    This package looks awesome! Just one question, is there a way to move my camera from its current position to the first path point smoothly (like a quick event)? I just saw some videos, but I do not noticed this feature, sorry if this is a repeated question...

Example:
    My camera is following my player, when he enters in a trigger, his camera move from his back to the first point of the cameraPath and start the animation.

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to buy this package!