Search Unity

Camera follows path

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Predster, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Predster

Predster

I'd like to create an fps-type game where the player (camera) is in a mine car going down a track. The player could move forward and backward, and there would be branches in the track where the player would choose which path to follow.

Basically, I'd need to have a rigidbody follow some sort of path, and be able to CHOOSE A DIRECTION at branch points--which is the problematic part. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I've read a lot about pathfinding on the forums, but it is all related to AI, and I don't know if it would work.

Would setting up waypoints work? Does anyone have an idea how to go about solving this problem?

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

3. Predster

Predster

I've checked that out, the copter demo is sweet! My problem is that I don't know how script/construct my scene to allow the user to choose a direction at the branch point of a path. That project has a path with no branch points.

Edit: I can't seem to get the car demo to play--does this one allow you to choose directions on the path?

4. Proto

Proto

What it you made a hierarchical path mesh?

Code (csharp):
    1.     /aa
    2. a-- -- ab
    3.     \ac
    You could recursively activate only branches that are relevant. I see a couple of methods discussed on the forum for object path following.