Search Unity

Camera doesn't render particles correctly at certain angles.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Igor_Vasiak, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

So... I was trying to make some cool visual fx for my game, but the particle system is not quite working... For me, at least.

So, here's the deal:

Some particle systems in my scene work correctly, and others don't. Whenever I move my camera to some specific angles, the particles simply disappear (most of the gameplay was based in those angles...). I have no idea on what's going on... Is it because I'm using Unity 2018.1b?

Also, the problem disappears once I activate the Trails...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

karl_jones likes this.
  3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Do your particles have a locked rotation or set to be a vertical or horizontal billboard. Particles are actually flat planes with textures on them. Pause your game when your particles disappear and enter the editor. Are the particles facing your camera? There are a few different settings that affect how particles are oriented.

4. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

richardkettlewell and karl_jones like this.
  5. Igor_Vasiak

Igor_Vasiak

The particles are not locked (I mean, sometimes I set them to be aligned to direction, but not always, because I mostly use 3D particles). The issue happens both on the Editor and Play modes. To have more details, such as images, see this link: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1493386/camera-doesnt-render-particle-system-correctly.html

6. jbaumer6

jbaumer6

I have this same problem but only with particle trails. If generate lighting data is on, the particles disappear when the camera rotates. When I have generate lighting data off, the trails only work on one side of my point lights. Its driving me nuts. I'm using additive shader. It works for the particles themselves, but not for the trails.

7. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

@jbaumer6 Hey, please submit a bug report and post the case number here so we can follow up directly in this thread once we know more.

@MultipleGameStyles looks like you already submitted a bug.. posting the case number here would be super helpful.

8. LightStriker

LightStriker

I have the same issue in 2018.3.12, but only in a build. No idea what to do.

9. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Read my replies to others in this thread. It should give you some ideas :p

10. LightStriker

LightStriker

Yeah... submit a bug. Great.

entropicjoey1 and BigGameCompany like this.
  11. feakuru

feakuru

Sorry for necroposting, but for me this issue was solved by changing ParticleSystem > Renderer > RenderAlignment to World

casalepeter likes this.
  12. diliupg

diliupg

The solution to this problem lies in the layers. In the particle renderer, set the order in layer to a high value. I set it to 100 for my players gun muzzle flash and it never ever disappeared on my ever!

MM_Games, dzjos1 and CrazyPhysics like this.
  13. diliupg

diliupg

14. NikH

NikH

Thanks Diliupg, that sorted it for me! For others, I went into the Particle System component and in the Render section set the "Order in Layer" to a higher number (e.g. 100).

richardkettlewell likes this.