Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Bug Camera Depth Texture Mode not Working on Quest

Discussion in 'VR' started by sh0v0r, Apr 28, 2019.

1. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

Hi I've been trying to get the below asset from the store working on Quest using 2019.1.0f2

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/definitive-stylized-water-87062

It has a mobile version which I am using and requires adding a component to the Camera to enable the DepthTexture.

This works fine in the Editor on the Rift (Image Attached) but doesn't seem to work in the build.

It appears as it does when the above mentioned Depth Mode on the camera is not set in the editor.

Attached Files:

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. castana1962

castana1962

Hi sh0v0r
    First of all, I am glad for you because you have the Oculus Quest for developing !!!
    Sorry for my question here because I cannot help you with this topic because I have not the Quest yet( Hopefully I can get soon) but according to your experience, I would like to know your opinion about the differences between Quest and Rift for developing(about Graphics quality and Performance or another topic that you think convenient told me) Would it be possible?
    To be honest with you, I am confusing myself because since I am an Oculus Start program member and all the Oculus people told me I take as reference Rift for Quest developing but I spoke with a lot of Oculus developers in several places and they told me that I cannot porting a VR game from Rift to Quest, for it Could you share also your opinion about this topic?
    I am sure that the Best way to know how works an app/game in Quest is testing in it.... and reading about your problem, It makes me think that I am well focused on this reasoning....
    Thanks for your time and Hope you can fix this problem soon!!!
    Best Regards
    Alejandro

3. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

In general working with the Quest is great and seamless. You can work using an Oculus Rift to make iteration faster and when you're ready you can make a build and deploy quite easily to Quest. The majority of the API is the same e.g. input and Touch controllers.

However you do need to be building for Mobile hardware as a target with respect to general optimisation and performance.

This is something you want to make a priority to get right and continually keep an eye on during development if the Quest is your target platform. Scaling up for Rift is easier than scaling down.

Simple Shaders, Texture Atlasing, Mesh Baking, are things you will want to use and understand. Static/Dynamic Batching is also something I have found is best avoided if you can do the majority of optimisation upfront offline or during initilisation.

castana1962 likes this.
  4. castana1962

castana1962

Hi again
    Thanks to share your Quest experiences with me
    Good luck !!!
    Best Regards

5. djlins

djlins

Hi there,

Did you ever solve this issue? I am now having the same problem while trying to get a water shader going in URP for the Quest. As you mentioned if I dont have Depth Texture set then I see the same result in the Game tab as I do when built on the quest. But I cant build it to work on the Quest.

Thanks in advance,
    Lindsay.

6. battou

battou

Hi. Have anyone figured out how to get Depth texture in shader on Quest? Im also struggling with it.

7. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi all, depth texture is supported on Quest. Can you file a bug with reproducible project so the team can properly track and investigate? Thanks!

8. chantey

chantey

My facepalm moment was needing to enable depth textures in the URP Asset:

mfuad likes this.