Search Unity

Camera Component for my Pure ECS heart

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by deus0, Mar 14, 2021.

1. deus0

deus0

Is one being worked on, and if so, how long might we be waiting? It's been a couple of years since ECS and I expected one a bit earlier then this.

I would like to add a unity camera component to an entity, possibly even create a custom camera render system like we can with rendering using the graphics library. My understanding is that unity uses the queues stored in the graphics library and then uses vulkan or opengl to send commands to the GPU at the end of the frame, using the camera and all its properties.

It would be nice to have some control over this a little, as well as generally making my code simpler to maintain and add to without the extra complexities of syncing to the gameobjects for cameras.

The same questions I have about audio listener! Possibly letting us use multiple of them in a scene! (this would be awesome for local coop and is kinda needed)

I'm not using directional/point lights but I am sure others might want to use them with ECS.

I've seen other threads on this but they were derailed by people talking about using hybrid, which wasn't what I was after.

Orimay likes this.
  2. Krajca

Krajca

HybridComponents are always there to use.

3. deus0

deus0

Sorry but its in the title, if you didn't read (or understand) the post, is about pure ecs, not hybrid approach!
    Edit: I did pull apart the hybrid system and see that it just sets the transforms or something, perhaps hiding the gameobjects when it converts and destroys them..! but I was already synching transforms up! I want to remove the use of gameobjects completely!!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Krajca likes this.