Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Camera Clear Flags On Performance

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by Jack-Tag-Games, May 25, 2023.

1. Jack-Tag-Games

Jack-Tag-Games

Is there a best practice when choosing the camera clear flags, and does this vary per platform?

My naive assumption is that not clearing the screen would be faster as it would do less work, however I have read that this can be detrimental on mobile hardware (in this blog post from John Carmack) and that it is faster to clear the screen as it can avoid storing and loading data that is no longer needed.

mandisaw and sabojako like this.
  2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, I don't have the answer for mobile, but on console, it is faster to not clear the color buffer / Gbuffer as we rewritte it fully.

mandisaw likes this.
  3. Jack-Tag-Games

Jack-Tag-Games

Thanks for taking the time to reply, interesting to hear thats the case for console and will be good to know for the future.
    I should have specified that mobile is the main area of concern at the moment, but its not like clearing or not is the render feature getting in the way of hitting performance targets.

4. ManueleB

ManueleB

Unity Technologies

clearing the screen on mobile is not done using cmd.ClearRenderTargets, which is pretty expensive, but it is done on tile (by using Clear load actions) which is pretty fast. So yeah, as the article you linked mentions, Clear or DontCare load actions are cheap and recommended on mobile, Load operations are very expensive, especially on high res + MSAA targets.

So to summarize, on mobile, as long as you clear using the Clear load action (URP does that for its cameras) and not using cmd.ClearRenderTarget, clearing is very cheap and safe to use

mandisaw and wwWwwwW1 like this.
  5. Jack-Tag-Games

Jack-Tag-Games

I really appreciate you both taking the time to respond, thanks for all the information!

ManueleB likes this.