Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera and Face Capture App invitation

Discussion in 'Virtual Production Previews' started by stevenmceuen, Jun 9, 2021.

1. stevenmceuen

stevenmceuen

While I received and email welcoming to the Beta and installed test flight, I see no invitation or path to install the apps.

What am I missing?

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

3. stevenmceuen

stevenmceuen

Thank you. I did not pick up on the nuance that you had to load the webpage on the iOS device to trigger the invite.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Pleased you got it sorted!

5. kudamuchi

kudamuchi

Hi when is the android camera and face capture
    version coming

6. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @kudamuchi.

There is no current plan to support Android, unfortunately. To be clear, we looked very closely at this and understand that Android is the preferred platform for many of our users, as it is for many on our own team. And of course Unity prides itself on bringing our tools across as many platforms as possible.

Android have made some technical choices that make supporting their devices prohibitive. For example, their AR support is optimized for consumer-grade uses (e.g., SnapChat filters), even on higher end devices. Our engineers don't believe we could obtain professional-grade results with these capture capabilities. Similarly, the video streaming at the core of Virtual Camera isn't possible on many Android chipsets, making the degree of exploration and debugging required to validate and support these devices prohibitive for the small team that supports this product.

Our lead engineer recently said to me "it's not so much that we built for iOS. We built for ARKit, which has what's required to support these tools."

Again, this is no slight against Android. We know many users want this support, and we want to bring it to you. If the opportunity comes along to support Android (or, more likely, a subset of Android), we'll happily do that work.

7. kudamuchi

kudamuchi

AH l see makes sense thanks : )