Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling the physics simulation from C#

Discussion in 'Physics Previews' started by yant, Dec 6, 2016.

1. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone,

One of the long standing and rather frequent requests to Unity's physics team is to expose the explicit control over FixedUpdate.

Let me quickly show a few examples as a motivation for this.

An obvious usage could be networking physics: turns out that in order to do convincing multiplayer interaction in FPS-like games one needs to be able to rewind back time, apply the correction that arrived from the server and tweak it with the locally applied input. The latter was pretty much impossible really since in Unity you can't call the physics simulation manually.

Another example is a simulation game. Think golf, pool or bowling. It's desirable to be able to preview the trajectory of the controlled ball given this particular direction, strength and type of the strike. In order to do that seamlessly one needs to be able to simulate the scene for a few frames in advance which isn't directly possible in any of the public builds right now.

One additional bonus is that with this control exposed, it's easy to have some logic post-update. Currently, the FixedUpdate script callbacks are called right before the physics simulation is run. Thus, if you wish to have a script that gets transforms right after the physics update was called, you have to jump through hoops. A possibly smart workaround being used these days is to create two overlapping triggers somewhere far away from the game area, subscribe to OnTriggerStay from them, and get the post-simulation callback that way.

There were multiple talks over the years where many theoretical concerns were pointed out with regards to exposing Physics.FixedUpdate to scripts. Moving the physics objects may invalidate the PhysX's caches and thus cost performance spikes when rewinding the time back and forth. Calling simulation with the variable delta will get you unpredictable solver results. Possibly, there are lots of ways to break some assumptions when FixedUpdate is called at unexpected times from scripts.

However, having many theoretical ideas, there wasn't much actually tried out. So this thread is targeted at correcting that. Let's try it out together, collect ideas and have a conclusion whether it's worthy having the control exposed this way or not.

I've prepared a custom build off of 5.4.3p3. Can do any Unity version if makes sense, my change is minimal. Let me know. Here it is: http://beta.unity3d.com/download/482a73abaf24/public_download.html

That's only editor that doesn't seem to be capable of building players. Probably, an inconvenience for the networking tests, but I believe you could still run multiple editors on the same machine. Let me know if that's a blocker for you, I'd figure something out.

As to what's added. The build has only two little things added: Physics.autoSimulation and Physics.SimulateStep(float delta).
    * Physics.autoSimulation (also, available in the project settings): toggles whether the simulation should be run automatically, or the user should be calling Physics.SimulateStep manually
    * Physics.SimulateStep: a new function that updates physics by 'delta' seconds forward.

Here is an example of how you get pretty much the old logic of updates, but from C#:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class BasicSimulation : MonoBehaviour {
    5.     private float timer;
    7.     void Update () {
    8.         if (Physics.autoSimulation)
    9.             return;
    11.         timer += Time.deltaTime;
    13.         if (timer >= Time.fixedDeltaTime)
    14.         {
    15.             timer -= Time.fixedDeltaTime;
    16.             Physics.SimulateStep(Time.fixedDeltaTime);
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    Note that in this build Physics.autoSimulation controls only the actual simulation calls to the physics engine. It doesn't affect the FixedUpdate calls to your scripts. Those will still be called based on the fixed frequency set in the properties.

Please let me know what you think. Is it a step in the right direction? Is it a step in the wrong one? What needs to be done in a different way? What do you think?

Anthony

2. Bas-Smit

Bas-Smit

Great stuff Anthony, I know many people have had this on their wishlist for a long time, looks like a great first step to figuring out if this is a viable feature. I'll build a benchmark to see what the performance implications are like for rewinding time :)

yant likes this.
  3. chrismcmath

chrismcmath

This looks fantastic! The lack of a SimulateStep function has precluded the use of a lot of PhysX features on our current project.

4. Tinus

Tinus

This is very exciting to think about, and could possibly lift some weight of our shoulders where our only current alternatives are switching to Bullet or writing our own physics system. Both are very exciting prospects, but also very time consuming.

Being able to tick a physics world non-realtime would give us a lot of needed flexibility, but I'll have to think hard about whether it's enough for our current projects. The way I've set up rewind/correct logic in my experimental networking code is by creating small sets of physics objects and rewinding/correcting them separately. Here's how we're currently thinking about networked physics for Volo Airsport:

Operating on Subsets of Physical State

Different physics objects (be they a single rigidbody, or a set of strongly interacting rigidbodies like a ragdoll) often do not need to be corrected in unison. Sometimes it makes more sense to roll back and correct, say, only the physics state for a single object (a ragdoll for each player, in our case). This would avoid performing correction work on physics state that doesn't actually need to be touched.

Say I'm using the physics engine for some networked state, but also for some client-side-only effects (like explosion debris or whatever). I do not want to resimulate the entire game to correct my player's state, because that also means having to resimulate that irrelevant physics-based effect.

Having granular control over which subsets of physical state in your game are interacting with each other can greatly help you keep computational complexity under control in networking.

I suppose this can be achieved by managing which objects are reacting to this new FixedUpdate call at invocation time. If I want to simulate my avatar's physical state for 1 second, non-realtime, while not resimulating anything else, I could temporarily freeze all non-player state, unhook its associated FixedUpdate implementations, and then tick the physics knowing that only the state of my player's physics will run. How efficient this is I'll have to test.

With a more data-oriented or purely functional approach this would look something like:

Physics.Simulate(PhysicsWorld world, float deltaTime)

Considering Bullet for moment, we think using several PhysicsWorlds could achieve this. One world for global, real-time, on-screen state. Another world to do rewind/correct for specific networked objects that need it. It's not the only way to get it done, but it's one we've tested and we're quite happy with.

Blending Dual Representations For Perceptual Continuity

Calculating corrected physical state non-realtime from some received server state is one thing; applying it smoothly to client state (which is visible on screen) is another. If you receive a server state that says your predicted avatar state was off by 5 meters, and instantly apply it, you get jarring visual discontinuity of motion.

Our particular solution is to always have our clients run a full physics simulation for the entire game world that just goes on in real-time, with a separate world containing duplicate avatar physical state also running in realtime, not directly visible on screen. This second representation of the player has non-realtime correction (derived from the latest server state) applied instantly, which we can trivially do because it's not visible.

Then, every frame we interpolate the player object's global state to this corrected state such that the 5 meter error is applied smoothly over multiple visible frames. You still technically have perceivable on-screen discontinuity this way, but now it's hidden in further up the derivatives of the player's position, not position itself.

In Bullet this can be implemented as having a PhysicsWorld for real-time simulation on the client, with a separate PhysicsWorld in which only a single physics object for your player exists, which can be ticked in non-realtime.

Without this multi-world implementation it becomes harder to properly separate collisions between the two representations and such. But I guess this too would be possible with extra scaffolding built on top of Unity (with smart managing of collision layers or something). Another thing I'll test the performance of.

------

I'll give this more thought throughout the week, I'd love to see a version of Unity that ships with a physics API flexible enough to do rigorous networked physics. Even with just this change I'd guess there's a lot of new things possible that were not before.

(Oh by the way: I see ConfigurableJoint.CurrentForce and CurrentTorque have made their way into 5.5. Thanks a bunch, Anthony! I'll put that to good use.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    GarthSmith and DMeville like this.
  5. fversnel

fversnel

Great to see features like this being considered!

For this feature to be useful it's absolutely crucial to have control over which objects are interacting with one another.
    In a multiplayer context you often simulate a partial copy of the world before using the result of this calculation to drive gameplay logic and rendering. It makes no sense to resimulate the entire world since the state of the objects that are currently rendered on screen are just as relevant as the resimulated state. In other words: what you see is often not directly what you simulate.

So in the end what you do in multiplayer is to make a copy of a player object that is invisible and use that together with all the static colliders and invisible copies of other players to perform simulation. The result of that calculation is smoothly applied over time onto the actual visible objects in the world to prevent glitches/stuttering etc.

I don't see this feature being as useful if we don't get to decide which objects are being simulated since we would still be very limited in what we can resimulate. In multiplayer you always hold multiple views on what is 'true' and we need to be able to make that distinction in code.

A pseudo-code API could look like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IList<GameObject> simulatedObjects = ...
    2. float deltaTime = ... // The total time passed
    3. float timeStep = ... // The actual simulated time per tick
    4. Physics.Simulate(simulatedObjects, deltaTime, timeStep);
    Actually Bullet does this pretty well, giving you control over many aspects of the simulation even allowing for interpolation between physics ticks. It allows you to render objects very smoothly even with a low timeStep.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    GarthSmith likes this.
  6. Bas-Smit

Bas-Smit

I did a bit of investigation in to the suspicion that rewinding object state would break physx's caches. From what I can see now there is no such effect. Every frame I rewind and resimulate 20 steps of 10 milliseconds, plus and additional step to actually move time forward. It appears we spend about 20% less then 21 times the cpu time measured in a single step scenario, not sure why. Below is the test setup, I attached the script that runs the benchmark.

Object state is position, rotation, velocity, angular velocity

Initialization
    - Spawn 1000 cubes at random locations withing an 50x50x50 volume
    - Set their velocity towards the centre of the volume with a magnitude of 100

For each frame, first two steps are skipped in the single step scenario
    - Set all cubes state to what they were 20 steps ago
    - Step 20 times, recording state after each step
    - Step once to advance time

There is a cost to setting and storing object state, between 4.2 and 5 ms for a 1000 objects resetting once and recording 20 times on my machine. I guess this could be much reduced if rewinding and recording state happened behind an API that allows you to rewind up to a predefined nr of steps. I agree that for this to be truly useful you would need control over what gets rewound and stepped, potentially layers can be used for this?

Physics.Rewind(int steps, LayerMask mask)
    Physics.Step(float stepLength, LayerMask mask)

I think spawning and destroying should be the responsibility of the user, if you destroy a gameobject and rewind, it will not be recreated for you. Similarly for (de)activating, if you deactivate a gameobject it does not get rewound or stepped. I dont think unity can mitigate any negative consequences of stepping a subset of objects, so it would be up to the user to avoid or live with these.

Attached Files:

jason-fisher and Tinus like this.
  7. 00christian00

00christian00

Very interesting feature but this topic should be exposed better if you want some feedback.
    I saw this by accident, there should be a blog post at least or an announcement.
    I agree with the above, ideally we should be able to simulate only certain objects.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Wondering if we can tick at editor time, for example the artist places 500 objects, simulates where they fall and so on, it opens up various editor-time physics.

The problem I see with this is you would want to simulate only specific layers. So an editor script would set some objects to layer 31, and these would get simulated. Or otherwise specify something. I'm not really going to use this much, but it's just general feedback.

AlanMattano, yant and Martin_H like this.
  9. shcipwa

shcipwa

This is an amazing first step. We've been waiting for this for a long time and like some of the others here have considered moving physics out of the Unity PhysX instance into something external.

I will have a look over the weekend, but first impression is that we need a way to simulate collections of objects in isolation to do any sort of rewind / replay without overloading the CPU. I understand the issues around simulating part of a solver where objects can interact are not trivial, however something like being able to say "these 5 layers are part of physics space A and all other layers are part of physics space B, and A / B don't interact with eachother at all" would be all we need to get started.

Required interactions between non interacting spaces could be done with non kinematic clones. Though complex, it would still save a heap of CPU time vs rewinding every object. This would also let us do things like partition the world geographically and only rewind/replay small chunks.

Edit: To give some insight into our concrete use case. We would never run the player through PhysX, we think this should always stay as a custom character controller. However a large part our current title Hurtworld is vehicles, which are server authoritative and run on PhysX so we currently can't reliably client side predict. We currently run them purely on the server and stream positional updates to the clients, adding heaps of delay for anyone > 100 ping.

We don't require stable stacking, or any sort of predictable realistic results when rewinding and replaying collisions between 2 dynamic objects, 99% of our simulation time will be a single kinematic rigid body simulating against static geometry in isolation. If we get crappy results when correcting a crash, we can hide that with misdirection tricks, our main goal is to allow 0 latency terrain driving.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

This is probably better suited to an asset, but it would be nice to be able to cache/pool/disable GameObjects but keep their colliders active in a separate layer/pooled space. Maybe it would be a priority queue indexed by the delta time range/period it was visible. Then we can run the PhysX timesteps against that separate pool to cull and use the (simulation delta time - last/next visible delta time), searching by a range forward/backward, and return a list of GameObjects/periods involved?

Similar to how you might use Vector3 distance in an LOD calculation. I think we would want a similar culling/LOD capability but with time instead of distance. If it's n seconds in the future, load from a cache, n*0.5, prepare a low LOD for viewing, n*0.25, switch to a higher LOD .. something like this could add utility and avoid stuttering?

11. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

It sounds great! This way we could distribute CPU power by using lower fixedStep time for complex mechanical systems, while other parts of the game run with high fixedStep values. I'll definitely check it out.

12. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

If the desired outcome is a callback after simulation and after all collision callbacks, the workaround we use is yielding WaitForFixedUpdate. For years it had been misdocumented as occurring before the physics simulation but that has not been the case on any version I have tried for either physics system and has been corrected on the latest version of the docs.

But yes, this opens up a lot of possibilities. Do your changes currently extend to the Physics2D system?

jason-fisher likes this.
  13. PhilSA

PhilSA

@yant
    Any updates on this? After reading the comments in this thread, it seems like all we really need is a way to call the physics simulation on subsets of objects (whether it' by PhysicsWorlds, layers, per-rigidbody, or whatever plays nicer with PhysX) and we'd be good to go

My personal preference would be the per-rigidbody approach, because that's what gives you the most control, but I don't know about the performance implications of this. The next best thing would be to put rigidbodies into different "PhysicsWorlds" in some kind of initialization phase. And finally, working with layers would be my least favorite approach, because it would impose a lot of limitations

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Prodigga likes this.
  14. Leuthil

Leuthil

Wow why is this not posted elsewhere with more visibility? I never knew this was posted until I randomly dropped into this part of the forum (which I normally never visit).

This is very exciting. I've been waiting for Unity to have some type of public message about at least looking into this, so I'm glad we have some real evidence now.

Based on what I've read on how Rocket League's networked physics works, they run the full simulation on the server that runs in realtime. They don't do any type of prediction or anything, they just receive inputs and send states back to each of the clients. The clients, on the other hand, run their own simulation but ahead of the server using client-side prediction. This is pretty typical, except they do client-side prediction even for the other players' vehicles assuming that their states will remain constant (ie. if one is accelerating, they will continue to accelerate).

AFAIK, on each received state update from the server, a client does a rewind to verify realtime positions/states and what the client had predicted for each vehicle and if any is off then a smoothed correction is made and a fast-forward happens with the client-prediction again.

At least in Rocket League's case it doesn't seem like there is a requirement to have physics rewind/fast-forward only on certain rigidbodies, so perhaps this architecture is a good one to test the custom editor given above to at least see if, performance-wise, this can work for networked physics.

chelnok and DMeville like this.
  15. chasepettit

chasepettit

I've been following the replies here for a bit, but I just wanted to chime in and also say thanks for finally working towards this. It would be a big step towards being able to do proper client-side prediction for physics objects.

16. jknight-nc

jknight-nc

Signing in just to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

THANK YOU!

17. DMeville

DMeville

Is there any update on this? Just finding this thread now after wrangling with Bullet Physics and not being satisfied for networked physics. This kind of control with PhysX would be incredible!

18. cerebrate

cerebrate

Yes please. This is absolutely necessary to do any decent networked physics.

19. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

I'm closely watching what you guys post here, thanks for all the ideas.

Seems clear there is no way around exposing the control over subsets of the scene by allowing to do partial simulations, especially for the advanced users. I think there will be a way figured out on how to achieve that with the current architecture limitations we have.

That said, my current options are quite limited I'm afraid, and I would say it's pretty much about either shipping what was described in the initial suggestion (amended by fixes for any problems you point out and/or arise in the testing) or, based on the input from this thread, not shipping it at all if it's concluded as not useful, and waiting for 2017Q4+ until we have a proper time slot to work on that.

Anthony

GarthSmith likes this.
  20. Stanchion

Stanchion

@yant Would it be possible to upload a version with build targets to Windows? Very hard to test for networking with just the editor and no builds.

21. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Yes, there will be a version with players eventually. Can you still provide me with your ideas regarding how useful you find the core idea? Thus far it seems that the best use case I've seen is for content creation actually. I've seen someone distributing debris around terrain by putting them above the terrain and dropping down by simulating physics for a few seconds (in editor mode!). Thanks.

22. Stanchion

Stanchion

It is essential for authoritative players using rigidbody movement with client side prediction, the alternative is 3rd party physics libraries like @DMeville mentioned

23. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

How much of what you want to achieve would be still achievable without the partial scene simulation that was discussed above?

24. Stanchion

Stanchion

Its probably necessary for it to be practical

25. cakeslice

cakeslice

26. Leuthil

Leuthil

Shame to hear about the difficulty you are having @yant. Like I said above, I think there are some use cases where even the current implementation could be useful but it's hard to say without investing a lot of time, which I think is why there isn't a huge response to this thread. To do a full prototype of networked physics with client-side prediction, data compression, etc will be a big undertaking if at the end of it all you're just left with a prototype that you can't use for anything. Especially if the current Editor build doesn't allow building to at least the Windows platform.

Deeeds likes this.
  27. PhilSA

PhilSA

I think Unity has to develop a fast-paced networked game alongside their networking and physics systems if they want to get it right. It seems ridiculous to me to expect everything to work well in production without ever having tried it in a real world context. I understand that experimental previews are meant to fix that problem, but I just think it's unrealistic to expect devs to build entire projects on experimental previews

Making an actual high-end online game should be the #1 priority of Unity as a whole right now. Some people would ask for an MMO, but I don't think that's reasonable or useful (because 99.99% of people saying they want to make an MMO will never actually make it, and it would be better to have a custom-made solution at that point anyway). Just a standard online arena shooter game would do.

I'm guessing Unity wants Unity Multiplayer to become a pretty substantial income source eventually, but right now almost nobody wants to use it because networking in Unity has become world-renowned for being sub-par. And this bad reputation will be set in stone until proven wrong. So it would be in their best interest to prove to their customers that it works well.

What do you think would be the best way to convince the higher-ups that this is what needs to be done?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Deeeds likes this.
  28. cerebrate

cerebrate

I think including what was initially defined - the addition of a Physics.autoSimulate and Physics.SimulateStep - is enough for now. I'd rather we had at least something rather than nothing.

Theoretically, if people absolutely needed the ability to simulate only some things for networked purposes, couldn't they just do that manually via just disabling rigidbodies on things they don't want to simulate before calling Simulate, then re-enabling them?

Perfect is the enemy of good...

twobob likes this.
  29. Stanchion

Stanchion

@PhilSA This is one of the big pros of Unreal, but I don't see Unity making their own AAA games so they will just need to listen closely to the leading developers of games and asset store packages.

DMeville likes this.
  30. HolyShovel

HolyShovel

Hm. Run simulation "by hand" its very intresting thing. Keep going! =)

31. TC_FS

TC_FS

I would second what @cerebrate said, having this minimal solution is better than nothing and would at least allow us to get started with networked physics. For our current use case with only a few simulated objects it is probably completely sufficient, though I would appreciate a more sophisticated solution for the future.

DMeville likes this.
  32. DMeville

DMeville

Agreed. This seems like it would be a decent solution in my usecase for fixing input-lag (from not being able to have client-side prediction on rigidbody players) for my game currently on Steam. My scenes only have a handful of rigidbodies so restimulating them all wouldn't be an issue.

Would be cool to be able to build players!

33. jknight-nc

jknight-nc

Just chiming in here to say that while "partial scene simulation" is a nice feature, it shouldn't be considered necessary.

Additionally if the "partial scene simulation" were to happen, it would make sense to have the Physics.SimulateStep call take a layer mask, and to use the Physics layers.

Or you could have a per object rigidBody.SimulateStep....

Just ideas, either way, this is a great step forward for Unity.

I think the most crucial piece to this is to find the best practises for "rewinding time" in order to simulate them forward again, as well as the best practise for comparing one physics world state to another in order to answer the question "do these 2 physics simulations match".

Let me prioritize the missing features:

1. An editor that can build a player

2. Best practise for comparing physics states

3. Best practise for rewinding time

4. Partial Scene Simulation using Physics Layers

Leuthil likes this.
  34. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

The major use case which I see using this feature for would be multiplayer hit detection. Currently we rewind time using our own collision detection, with very simplified code. Only box colliders and ray casts which are used for projectiles. We do our own spatial partitioning.

The code has not really been optimized and is rather slow being able to switch back to using full unity physics would be great.

35. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

@PhilSA You make some excellent points. There's really no substitute for "eating your own dog food". @Stanchion Yeah, Unity is in no position to develop their own AAA game and many would only complain if they did. They do already work alongside developers for feedback on features they're creating, but that's more like a dog food tasting survey. ;)

However, I think they've at least made some progress here by releasing the third-party developed Tanks!!! multiplayer project. Even if it's only really a beginner example project to get more people interested in the new Unity networking features.

I've always thought creating some kind of official Unity open source game project would be the best way to go. Maybe something similar to the unreal tournament "open source" project, but much less restricted. Or maybe just open source some of the core assets like the standard assets so the community can contribute, expand, and improve upon them for everyone.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  36. PhilSA

PhilSA

Isn't Unity already much bigger than many AAA studios, though? Last I've heard they had around 1000 employees, and I'm sure people wouldn't mind if the demo team started working on a proper game instead of making realtime movies.

Besides, they wouldn't really need to make an AAA game. Just a free functionnal game (like Epic's Unreal Tournament) would be just fine, and it would help the development of the engine greatly

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  37. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

Regardless of size, everyone at Unity is already working on specific tasks. Even a small game project would require the hiring of additional people, even if you reassigned some existing employees to work on it. Making an actual high-end online game is also very different from making real-time movies. Not saying it's impossible and I would love for this to happen, but such an initiative would not be effortless. If you just want a free functional online game then there's already the Tanks!!! project they just released on the asset store.

mccann likes this.
  38. jtbentley

jtbentley

Although ideally this feature would ship (as quickly as possible) with partial scene simulation, simply disabling unwanted parts of the scene from simulation manually might be a fairly quick workaround (if you're working with a manageable level of objects).

Deterministic physics often sounds like the best way to do everything but latency and working without lockstep make this an unfeasible solution. Is there any chance we can get these elements of Physx exposed in the short term for builds with a 'use at own risk' sticker? :)

39. jjfernandez

jjfernandez

Can you do the same for Physics2D?

I'm currently trying to simulate future events for my game and I can't do it fast. Playing with Time.timeScale and Time.fixedDeltaTime, first of all, gets me different results and it's not quick enough. That I want is just be able to call Physics2D.SimulateStep(Time.fixedDeltaTime) in cycle.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  40. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

@here - Physics.Simulate() and Physics.autoSimulation will be part of 2017.1 beta 2.

As discussed above, the partial simulations feature will require some additional thinking in order to implement it properly. This is in backlog, I'll be updating you once there is any movement. Thanks for all the comments. Should you have any ideas regarding what was done for 2017.1 beta2 feel free to drop a line here too, or anywhere else on the forums.

41. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

`Physics2D.Simulate()` is done and is being reviewed now. I'm hoping it'll be allowed into the 2017.1 beta by the powers-that-be. Beta is a time when technically we should not be adding features but this is such a small change with low impact that I'm hoping we can keep feature parity here between 2D/3D physics.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    GarthSmith, Leuthil and hippocoder like this.
  42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

The parity between 2D/3D is a super great attitude, thank you!

43. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

We've always wanted that but the universe has been conspiring against us. We're going to do better in 2017.

44. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

So as a follow-up of these two tweets:
    https://twitter.com/melvmay/status/852440222348578817
    https://twitter.com/melvmay/status/852915614570209280

I've done a custom build for you to experiment with. Look at the API docs (not the manual docs) for Physics2D.Simulate(), Physics2D.autoSimulation, Physics2D.simulationGroupMask, & Rigidbody2D.simulationGroup which should give you a decent overview.

Note that when simulating a group or a set of groups, any Rigidbody2D not being simulated acts like a static body. There's an alternative behaviour that could happen which is not contact anything outside of the group(s) being simulated. I am not quite sure of the best behaviour to have here although this could easily be a global option or an option on the simulation call.

Please ensure you install this in its own folder. It'll report itself as 2017.1.0b2 as it's built on that but this does not represent the exact build of that official release so please don't get them confused with each other.

Anyway, here's the link: https://goo.gl/nglBL3

I'd love some feedback but above all, have fun with it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    jason-fisher, Leuthil and DMeville like this.
  45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Thanks a lot - I assume I can use this at editor time - or runtime only?

46. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

If you're referring to the `Physics2D.Simulate()` then I've disabled it being called outside play-mode so no editor calls for now. The reason I've done this is due to some other internals which would cause a problem however I can get around that later with a little work.

EDIT: I could easily enable this use-case with a few caveats.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

it's not really that vital, was just thinking of rope physics tools being able to settle and so forth....

MelvMay likes this.
  48. rizu

rizu

To the partial physics world simulation, that's not going to happen easily as PhysX doesn't have anything to (efficiently) support that and adjusting PhysX scene on the fly will most likely result in PhysX solving the simulation in different order (PhysX 3.4+ would have an optional enhanced determinism flag to guarantee the same order but Unity is still on PhysX 3.3).

But, this can be solved efficiently with allowing users to have for example additional PhysX scene for custom simulations. I think someone suggested this already on this thread. This way, we could have the main physx scene, used in normal way and another optional physics scene which we could control and simulate manually (ideally we could control both manually). Rigidbodies would have a selection that would indicate in which physics scene they belong or if they belong to both and this could be changed at runtime too.

jason-fisher likes this.
  49. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I created a thread for 2D physics in an attempt to get some feedback on simulation groups and multiple instances of worlds here. Whilst I'm looking at 2D, hopefully some of that feedback would be applicable to 3D physics (should it even be possible there).

50. Stanchion

Stanchion

Nesokas and DMeville like this.