Search Unity

Question Calling SetComponent or GetComponent from a function in Entities.ForEach

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by slushieboy99, Dec 13, 2022.

1. slushieboy99

slushieboy99

I wrote the following function and want to be able to call it from Entities.Foreach:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void AssignTarget(Entity e, Entity target, EntityCommandBuffer ecb){
    2.         TargetComponent targetComp = new TargetComponent{
    3.                         target = target,
    4.         };
    5.         ecb.AddComponent<TargetComponent>(e, targetComp);
    7.         NumAttackingComponent targetNum = GetComponent<NumAttackingComponent>(target);
    8.         targetNum.numAttacking += 1;
    9.         SetComponent<NumAttackingComponent>(target, targetNum);
    10.     }
    The issue is I get an error about non-valued 'this'. I'd like to make functions for bits of code I reuse often that mirror Entities.Foreach code, and then only use them in Entities.Foreach. Is this possible or do I need to pass in an EntityManager or something of the sort?

2. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

You generally can't use any instance members in Entities.ForEach, so you would have to use static methods and pass in something that would get you access to GetComponent / SetComponent, so either the EntityManager or ComponentLookup (on 1.0 exp/preview, or ComponentDataFromEntity on previous). Personally, I would say the better design would be using ComponentLookup, which would allow you to reuse these across IJobEntity and Entities.ForEach with no consequences.

3. slushieboy99

slushieboy99

I should have mentioned I am looking to do this exclusively with static functions. Thanks for the info! I figured that would be the case. GetComponent calls ComponentDataFromEntity, so the runtime should be similar between the two implementations, correct?

4. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

Yeah, they should be similar with how the codegen for Entities.ForEach works out (I believe it just injects a ComponentLookup for the SystemBase.Get/SetComponent calls).