Search Unity

Call for blender test files

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Joachim_Ante, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on improving the blender importer.

It would be very nice if all the people using Blender could send me some of their blender scenes they are importing, please also include textures when sending the sample files.

Please use Report Bug.app to send them in. The files will only be used for internal testing purposes.

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

No one has sent in any blender test files yet.
    I am sure there are a few people interested in improving importing blender models.

Please help us make sure blender support gets improved and works great.

3. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I didn't see this until now. I will send in some files through the bug reporter.

please please please fix the object scale and rotation bug!!
    Also animation support would be awesome etc. I'm sure you know all this already but yeah.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

If you have animated objects please send them in.

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

I have some files but there importing fine. There just models, (no ainimation textures, ect) still want them?

Bill

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

yes. Send anything. No matter if it imports completely correct right now or not.

7. Snoodleberg

Snoodleberg

Might I ask what precisely is the defenition of

is? Does this mean animation/rigging/texturing? Are you even going as far as some sort of translation of blender's shaders? What about texture baking?

8. jeremyace

jeremyace

Uh, what exactly do you mean here? Texture baking is done in the 3D app (blender) and the result is an image file. There is no weird process or importer nedded to get that into Unity. Just toss it in. But perhaps I am misunderstanding you?

I am 99.99999% sure they wont be supporting shaders from any 3D apps for a long time, if ever. Shaders in Unity are optimised for this engine, and OTEE already wrote shaderlab to deal with that.

-Jeremy

9. Lallander

Lallander

So what is the word on getting animations to import from Blender?
    I absolutely love the way Blender is set up, but I haven't put in time to learn how to use it's animation tools due to them not being supported.

10. greenland

greenland

I sent a bunch of models but I'm not positive it actually worked correctly.
    First time it just hung. Second time it says it went, despite the fact that my firewall did not see any network activity from the app. So it was either lying about going through, or youse guys know some mad hax, yo.

I am thrilled to hear about additional Blender support though. I perfer Blender to 3D applications that cost... eum... infinity times more?

Would be cool if the importer remembered which faces were set to "flat" and "smooth" normals. TGE never could. You couldent get sharp eges on mechanical objects. It just fudged all the normals into a smooth blob.

11. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

That's worked fine with the existing Blender importer back as far as I can remember.

12. Viking Dan

Viking Dan

Worst comes to worst, you can always separate the faces that need to be smooth shaded from those that need to be flat shaded. Group them in Blender and they should stay in the same group on import.

13. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yeah it does work fine, I have models that use that info.

Bill