Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CAD on VR simulation

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by crazyenrogg, Oct 15, 2018.

1. crazyenrogg

crazyenrogg

Hi, community,

I wish I could use a CAD file, like bike's CAD, to make a simulation in VR. Let me explain. I wish I could dismount or reassemble my bike in VR with the same tools as in reality: remove the screws, loosen the nuts .. etc. Thus convert my CAD in Unity > Integrate the model and program my tools > finally use the VR for a better performance.
    Which software can I use to :
    - convert my CAD (Bike, tools) for Unity? I possess, at the moment, Pixyz Viewer but he does not really make the relation with Unity.
    - schedule my tools?
    - interact with the VR?

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks!
    Have a good day!

2. mgear

mgear

if you don't have to keep updating the cad model for new revisions,
    then i'd suggest converting it with 3ds max or other external 3d tools once (to properly cleanup the meshes, optimize, create uv mapping, get proper scale, etc.)

then from 3ds max, you export as .fbx, and after that can use it in unity like any other gameobjects/models..

for vr interaction, i'd probably look into something like
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay-a-while..stay-forever#!/content/75712

3. crazyenrogg

crazyenrogg

Thank you for your message!
    I ll test that. What do you use to export as .fbx ? Catia can make it work ?

4. mgear

mgear

from catia you wont get optimized model, and UV maps are probably bad too.. and cannot export fbx either.
    not sure if pixyz plugin or studio would help here though.
    (since they have all kind of tools in that)

3ds max can directly open catia products, that would be easiest solution if you have license to that..
    if not, then export to some format from catia, that free Blender can read.. (it can be used to do same things as 3ds max)