Search Unity

Cache Server - what am i doing wrong?!?!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bpritchard, Sep 29, 2012.

1. bpritchard

bpritchard

Hey all,

Still trying to get my head around the cache server, and as of right now I think i've setup something wrong or something. So here's my problem...

We have a cache server setup and running - Check
    We have an Asset server up and running - Check
    We upgrade to the latest unity - Check

Now here's where it gets just ridiculous. So I startup one machine so that it can start processing all the textures (since a . change to unity forces everything to be reprocessed) and leave it overnite, assuming that the cache server will get all the info it needs to give to all the other users.

Boy.. thats just wrong.

So i come in and notice that all the textures are now changed and need to be updated on the asset server. No problem.. check all that in. Everythings going ok so for.

Step up to machine number 2, startup unity, and it immediately starts reprocessing all the textures and not pulling them from the cache. Now, knowing that there are problems with this i stop unity and take a step back.

First i need to make sure i have the latest version of all the textures that just changed so i startup unity in a different empty project... turn off compress on import, and switch projects back. Unity again starts processing but its faster i guess because its not actually compressing. Thats fine. Go to the asset server, get latest so that i'm up to date w/the new texture settings. From there i turn ON Compress on import and it immediately starts RECOMPRESSING everything?

So.. can someone tell me if i'm using it wrong, i've set it up wrong, or if this is the expected result. Because right now, this whole process has cost me hours and hours of work and is essentially no different then using SVN and having each machine reprocess every texture in the tree.

Please help!

Cheers
    Bryan