Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

C4D Export Problem, Replicable?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Marble, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Marble

Marble

Guys, I can't get UVs out of C4D unless I export my file with a texture, yet whenever I export this model to FBX with a texture, it hangs with a memory leak and I have to force quit. Would another C4D10 user try adding a texture to this model and see if it exports?

This is really frustrating. FBX export works with all other textured models but this one!

Attached Files:

2. Macupuncture

Macupuncture

There is something funky about this file. I can't put my finger on it yet, though.

Send a message to Thomas Pasieka in the forums. He is a C4D expert and he will probably know what it is. Post when you figure it out. I use it, too.

Mark

3. Mike

Mike

58.482 polygons... wohooo.

It works if you select all polygons and >triangulate< them - and THEN export them as an FBX file but I don't think Unity can handle such hi-res polygon models.

:wink:

4. Marble

Marble

Hmm... but the polygons are already triangulated. I tried triangulating them anyway, but the export still hangs (again, only if I've added a material w/texture to the mesh).

5. Mike

Mike

shame on me - "UNtriangulate" of course !

:oops:

6. Marble

Marble

Whoops. I should have guessed. :)

I'm still getting a weird hang if there's a texture loaded on the terrain, though. :?

7. Mike

Mike

Okay - what system specs do you have? How much RAM?

What if you use the FBX import plugin supplied with Unity?

8. Macupuncture

Macupuncture

To tell the truth, I had a similar problem with a model of this size. Joachim tested it for me and it loaded fine....after 15 minutes of beach- balling.

I have a feeling the model is OK, it's just too big. Run it past the powers that be, and try to scale the model down some. Anything over 65k polys is bad, or so they told me.

M

9. Marble

Marble

I may do that. In the meantime, exporting to 3DS seems to work easily and quickly (and preserves the UVs). Then you can let Unity use its own importer on the 3DS file and match it up with the texture in the editor.

The size idea is tempting, but considering how cleanly and quickly it exports without a texture attached, I think this must be a bug in C4D's FBX implementation.