Search Unity

C++ Unity oponent!?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smokedawg, Sep 6, 2015.

1. smokedawg

smokedawg

https://minko.io/engine/ whats happening here unity? Can you incorporate c++ ntive coding with this being open sourced, or will i need to switch :)

2. Dantus

Dantus

Please switch and don't start a discussion that took place so many times!
    If open source is a must for you, pick an open source engine. If C++ is a must for you and the way Unity allows you to use it is not sufficient for you, pick one of the many existing engines with C++ support.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Nothing is happening. It is a completely different engine. It even states as much in the FAQ on the front page.

4. smokedawg

smokedawg

I was simply pointing out it is "open sourced" so maybe unity can incorporate it into untiy, and coding plugins for c++ is not the same as using c++ to write your code. Me stating "what is happening" is me asking does this mean you can compile a native c++ code and export it into different platforms. like blender for web browseR???????

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity is already capable of using C++ directly. You simply need a source license to do so.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You will need to switch unless you fancy working with dll's. So by all means switch away, Unity will still be here when you realise your foolishness :)

Kiwasi, SunnySunshine and antislash like this.
  7. smokedawg

smokedawg

really, dll's?.... didnt know linux needed dll's to run c++ programs, as a matter a fact i dont think they do, isnt dll a .net microsoft subject.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You will have to compile the C++ and link it to Unity from an external library. Are you merely just curious about game development?

Unity natively supports it's own unity script syntax and C#. You will have to link a library or code compiled in a different language. You are talking about C++ which is not natively supported in Unity.

9. smokedawg

smokedawg

No one is talking about linking to unity... if unity itself is in c++ it seams this minko engine can compile unity accross platforms.. Is this not of any value for scalability in the world of game creation?

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It is of no value and not interesting in the manner you put it. It isn't compatible with Unity.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

We call them shared libraries on other OSes. Under Linux they use the extension .so.

hippocoder likes this.
  12. smokedawg

smokedawg

... Unity is not written in native c++?? Is that what you mean. Because it seams like it is compatible with native c++ code.

13. smokedawg

smokedawg

Ok thank you, didnt know that. This engine does have an interface like unity so i dont believe you need to deal with the libraries they are already available when coding/scripting (minko supports lua and cool things like luas coroutines that dont impact performance)

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity is capable of working with C++. You can either use DLLs if you have Unity Free or Unity Pro. Or you can use C++ directly but that requires access to Unity's source which requires a special license. Frankly though it isn't necessary to have C++ access to produce great games.

If I absolutely could not live without C++ though I would not choose Minko. I would choose Unreal 4.

Kiwasi and jgnmoose like this.
  15. smokedawg

smokedawg

Thank you for the input i appreciate it Ryiah. I will compile minko and give it a try to see. Stil love unity, so dont get me wrong guys :D

16. ZJP

ZJP

Need C++ and source? switch.... :D
    This..

17. pKallv

pKallv

zzzzz

18. elmar1028

elmar1028

Its pricing model is a bit steep. I mean, I need to pay 20 euros a month in order to sell my game for commercial use. Apart from that free users get to have only 20MB file size (not sure if build or project).

YouTube doesn't give me any tutorials about minko engine, heck even screenshots!

Being open source and C++ 11 support is a great perk, but still...

I think I will stick with Unity for now :p

19. jgnmoose

jgnmoose

Pretty much this.

Hey, I love C++ too. I am honestly luke warm on C#, but this engine and the tools are what sold me.

Besides, Unreal 4 makes a macbook sound like it is on the catapult ready for take off just sitting in an empty scene rofl. Don't rev my fans so hard bro!

theANMATOR2b and Ryiah like this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Exactly! I would have to be working on a project that specifically required an open source engine in order for me to want to give up the tools and the engine features (ie middle-ware). An open source engine simply can't compare.

theANMATOR2b and jgnmoose like this.
  21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm not quite sure how using C++ in Unity is different to what you linked. In both cases, you need to compile the code yourself. If you target a platform that uses IL2CPP in Unity, you can even drop C++ source files into your project and they will get compiled automatically.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  22. ZJP

ZJP

BTW, what is the ETA for desktop (Windows, Mac, Linx)?.

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We don't have an ETA at this time.

ZJP likes this.
  24. ZJP

ZJP

:( Thanks for the reply.

25. Ryiah

Ryiah

My understand was that standalones will be among the last platforms to get IL2CPP.

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

After Stingray , we don't hear no more people talking how incredible the engine is LOL

What makes me laught :

They talk about Unity engine , that's something very very amateur, not pro.
    is the engine driven by crazy coders :D , or amateurs that made another 3D objects visualisation tool.
    No company talks directly about concurrents on their site LOL

Lot of people are asking UE4 to implement C# ; even some UE4 developper said that C# could perhaps be officially supported some day.
    As mainly working in 3D art , i prefer lot more C# language that is really lot more easy for me.

Some other open source engine like Paradox knows that C# is what many people ask specially those thata are not not super coders or that want a simple programming language.
    The C++ native power is just advertisment , it will attract only C++ ready coders, not new comers to coding.I prefer an easy language even if that has some small cost.

20$ per month for commercial usage , there is no chance for them :rolleyes:

From what i have seen it is mainly another more 3D web engine , not a complete development suite. for example there is almost no physics tutorials only one.
    I sense that this thread with this provokating title is just someone from their company advertising their small product.

Good luck to that very new and non prooven 3D engine , anyway it is more choice is always better for us.

Yes you need to forget your 3D visualisation engine and switch to Unity that is thousand times better and more complete :D

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, now that you mention it I haven't actually heard anything else concerning it. Plus the one guy who was constantly praising it has mysteriously vanished. Not that I'm complaining about either. :p

ZJP likes this.
  28. zenGarden

zenGarden

:D lol

29. smokedawg

smokedawg

The blender 3 integration of game engine and blender python seems like a must see when it happens, it will be a programable reality simulator rather then a game engine. Also worht noting its built on c++ and being open source we can build a custom engine (if anyone is familiar with blender, its so integrated with itself you can even set keyframes on just about everything inside) . BTW blend4web.com made a export to web plugin as well, but thats for javascripting. If anyone likes blender.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

When you use the phrase "built on c++", do you mean that the core is C++? Because Unity's core is C++ too.

31. GMM

GMM

New tools are always great, competition drives innovation and accessibility. Something being written in C++ doesn't neccesarily make it better, it comes down to how the production pipeline works and if it economically makes sense to transistion to it.

Unity and Unreal Engine, the two biggest video game middleware solutions out there, are both based on highly optimized C++ source code. Both of these engines are field tested and proven to be production ready, Minko on the other hand doesn't seem to offer much in terms of value when it comes to a good IDE and documentation + mobile platform support seem eksperimental.

If you really want a major C++ engine to work with, go download the full source code to Unreal Engine 4 and fool around.

Ryiah likes this.