Search Unity

Feedback C++ support for the sake of Machine Learning and Physics

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Sab_Rango, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Sab_Rango

Sab_Rango

it been a while I am trying to bring robust physics like mujoco and real time machine learning like pytorch c++

I think it's time to think about bring c++ as modular way to the editor and runtime mode!
    Since It's better to use all other libraries in their language with latest update in daily devolopment!

2. exiguous

exiguous

We had a hard struggle to get this nasty UnityScript removed. So I doubt they will add another language soon. Especially the memory handling would be difficult.

As for your external libraries. How many people would benefit from that? What about libraries coded in different languages. Soon people would complain why C++ is supported but not their favourite language. So this would be worse than opening Pandoras box. And it would be a nightmare for UT to maintain and support. If you depend on such libraries use a wrapper or use an engine which supports C++ out of the box (UnrealEngine?). Such a language fragmentation is hardly beneficial.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Yuck, goodness me, not in 2021!!

Besides, you can already use C / C++ directly in all Unity targets as a native plugin.

Source: I do this exact thing with my KurtMaster2D game, which builds for iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOSX and contains all my old MS-DOS games from the 90s, all in C / C++.

Sab_Rango and exiguous like this.
  4. Sab_Rango

Sab_Rango