Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

C++ scripting

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Darko, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Darko

Darko

Is there a way to do the Unity "scripting" in native C++?
    (ok, then you can not call it "scripting", but I think you get the point)

I know that the managed .NET languages are not a performance problem
    but there are some other advantages in using C++.
    (for example a huge pool of Professionals already used to C++)

Thanks,
    Darko

2. NCarter

NCarter

You can write plugins using C++ if you have Pro, but that's it. That's probably not a very good solution for your main game logic; it's more appropriate for interfacing with external APIs or processing data which is only used indirectly by your Unity scripts.

Speaking as a self-taught C++ programmer who has spent several years making games on an amateur basis, I think that the move to C# is easy and worthwhile, and the language is much more suitable for the way Unity works than C++ would be. There are also plenty of professionals who know C#, just as there are plenty who know C++.

leozhang1 likes this.
  3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Also worth noting: C++ plugins are _not_ supported in the web player, thus they're usable only within authoring and stand-alone executables.

4. Jessy

Jessy

Wow. I didn't know that. Considering it's UT's mission to make possible the best 3D content "on the web" I think it's kind of weird that this is even in there, now.

5. 64746c

64746c

From what I understand, including C++ plugins in a webplayer is pretty much impossible because you would have to create an entirely new browser plugin. It works in standalone players because the entirely new plugin is included anyway.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's probably more of a security thing. Plenty of Unity content is stand-alone, so I don't see any issues with that.

--Eric

7. Jessy

Jessy

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

@Jessy: supporting plugins in the web player would introduce significant security concerns that we are simply not willing to take on right now. And to me (and others), this does not prevent us from achieving our goal of being the 3D tool/player of choice for content on the web, desktop and beyond...

9. podperson

podperson

I'd suggest that 'the best 3D content "on the web"' doesn't include gaping security holes (like ActiveX). As soon as you allow arbitrary code execution via web browsers you're just a gigantic security nightmare waiting to happen.