Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug C++ runtime error when path-tracing a movie

Discussion in '2022.2 Beta' started by wm-VR, Jun 8, 2022.

1. wm-VR

wm-VR

Hello, whenever I try to path-trace a movie longer than about 10 seconds I end up with the following error message, and Unity crashes. It's reproducible with a new project. Just put in a few random meshes to force the GPU a bit and set the frame-interval from 0 - 1500 within the recorder. I have an RTX 3070 with the newest drivers. When path-tracing pictures or very small animations (shorter than about 10 seconds) it's working. My GPU isn't overheated.

Unbenannt.png

Almost the whole crash txt file contains the following line

Calling Deallocate on pointer, that can not be deallocated by allocator ALLOC_TEMP_UnityGfxDeviceWorker

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does it happen with just a cube or simpler scene (or even that one)? if so then a bug report will really help speed this along. Otherwise Unity's own staff might miss this. Drop the case number in this thread if you make one.

You can make the report via Help->Report a Bug...

3. wm-VR

wm-VR

Hey, thanks for replying!

Usually, this specific "C++ runtime error" occurs when rendering longer movies (up to 15 seconds and above) or single pictures in higher resolutions(4k or more) with higher sample rates (beyond 100). Important to notice: Somehow, It never has been crashed at the beginning of a rendering process, whether it's a movie or a high-res picture. It seems my RTX has to be in action for some time (around 30 minutes) to trigger this error msg. As the picture clearly shows, it happened in frame 1185 according to the recorder bar and that's no exception). I can render a bigger movie clip in small junks with, let's say 500 frames and put them together in Adobe Premiere but, unfortunately, not in one stroke.

I will render some path traced movies within a new scene/project (without my project overhead) and file a bug report when it happens again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    hippocoder likes this.
  4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It looks like this issue somehow bypasses our crash handling. If you do report a bug, could you also capture a crash dump manually and attach that to a bug report? You can do so by getting this dialog to pop up, NOT press ok, go to task manager, find the process that opened that dialog in the processes tab, then right click on it, press go to details, right click again and then press "Create dump file".

NotaNaN, wm-VR and hippocoder like this.
  5. wm-VR

wm-VR

Again. I tried to path trace a small movie (just a table with a few props on it, nothing fancy) and a rotating camera and after about 20 Minutes render time this message appeared and Unity crashed.
    CASE IN-8039

upload_2022-6-22_19-29-50.png

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Any chance your system was actually out of memory? What does the used commit in task manager look like? upload_2022-6-22_12-59-59.png

wm-VR likes this.
  7. wm-VR

wm-VR

Thanks for the reply! I doubt that the space was exceeded before I pressed the record/render button. Except path tracing demands additional memory usage I am not aware of. The scenes I create are usually very small. Here is an example of such a clip (100 samples, denoised) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fRq9Xi9lEZWoQSFPBHutxagR391PPb1d/view?usp=sharing

This is how it looks before rendering
    upload_2022-6-22_23-21-16.png

8. wm-VR

wm-VR

This is a snapshot after 20 min of recording footage:

upload_2022-6-23_13-4-24.png

This time I stopped the recording process manually (instead of waiting for a crash) and took another screenshot:

upload_2022-6-23_13-5-49.png

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Makes mental note to upgrade from 16 GB.

JoNax97, wm-VR and NotaNaN like this.