Search Unity

C# making a VIEWFINDER that points to one of many fires, Vector3.RotateTowards

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jbarbeau, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jbarbeau

jbarbeau

I'd appreciate some help. I'm having difficulty with RotateTowards, the example in the documentation SEEMED to APPLY, but I can't get it to work.

I have a Flight Sim that trains firefighters. In the plane's instrument panel I need to make a View Finder or a TCAS. There are multiple fires in the zone, and a controller assigns which fire each pilot is to attack. The Viewfinder guides him/her to the fire using the vector from the plane to the fire rotated according to the planes.forward direction.

Pic 1 shows that the CONTROLLER has set 3 fires, and the plane (a 747) is in the middle. Fire 1 should be to the pilot's left, 2 straight ahead (North) and 3 east or to the right.

Pics 2 and 3 show the DEBUG.DRAWLINE() that points to each fire when selected as the target, THIS WORKS.

Pics 4 and 5 show the TCAS instrument display (green circle) It should have a line showing the RELATIVE Direction to the assigned fire, but it's not right. I show the TCAS assigned to Fire 2 and I've turned the plane in the editor by hand so I can simulate it's orientation in flight. The direction is wrong, you can probably see, Here's the code:

Vector3 firepos = (taken transform.position from a list of fires) ;
    Vector3 planepos = PlaneTransform.position;

ToFire = firepos - planepos; // calculate heading target - plane position

float speed = 2;
    float step = speed * Time.deltaTime; // from UNity example
    var planeforward = PlaneTransform.forward;
    newDir = Vector3.RotateTowards( planeforward* ToFire.magnitude, ToFire, step, 100.0f);

// DEBUG.DRAWRAY DRAWS IN THE RIGHT PLACE AS SHOWN IN SCREENSHOT
    Debug.DrawRay( firepos, planepos, Color.red, 0f, false); // 4th param is time the Ray is shown, 0 means 1 frame, 4th param is "Should the line be obscured by other objects closer to the camera?" - NO

// SECOND HALF---------------------
    // ORIENT THE VECTOR TO 90 OF THE INSTRUMENT (CAN- DO THIS DIFFERENTLY TAKING BY // SIMPLY TRANSLATING X AND Z TO X AND Y OF THE INSTRUMENT) THEN TURN THE VECTOR BY // THE PLANE.FORWARD DIRECTION correctly turn it in opposite until when facing the fire, the line is /straight up on the display.... this means flying to the fire

topdown = Quaternion.Euler(90, 0, 0) * newDir; // rotate XZ plane around X to now XY plane
    topdown *= .0006f; // ScaleTCAS; // scale it
    topdown += TCAStransform.position; // center of TCAS background
    topdown.z += 0.5f; //MAKE LINE in front of background

Vector3 center = new Vector3(TCAStransform.position.x, TCAStransform.position.y, TCAStransform.position.z);
    center.z += 0.5f; // MAKE CENTER in front of instrument background

DrawLineJTB(center, topdown, Color.red, 0.001f);

void DrawLineJTB(Vector3 start, Vector3 end, Color color, float duration) // USING LineRenderer
    {
    if (end != LastEndPoint)
    {
    LastEndPoint = end;
    if (TCASLine) Destroy(TCASLine);

TCASLine = new GameObject();
    TCASLine.transform.position = start;
    TCASLine.AddComponent<LineRenderer>();
    LineRenderer lr = TCASLine.GetComponent<LineRenderer>();
    lr.material = new Material(Shader.Find("Particles/Alpha Blended Premultiply"));
    lr.SetColors(color, color);
    lr.widthMultiplier = 0.05f;
    lr.SetPosition(0, start);
    lr.SetPosition(1, end);
    }
    }

I ALSO tried to do this with Transform.TransformPoint and Transform.TransformDirection.....

This may be part of my confusion, Vector3.RotateTowards() gives me a DIRECTION, after scaling, etc. I use it to pass the ENDPOINT of the DrawLine function. Is this right? If not what should I be doing?

Thanks for your input.

Attached Files: