Search Unity

Other C# for cloud code?

Discussion in 'Cloud Code' started by Laicasaane, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

While the post title asks the exact and condensed question in my mind, I also want to understand the decision of choosing Javascript.

Another question is: can Javascript handle the case when CCU is high?

2. Unity_AndyP

Unity_AndyP

Unity Technologies

The Cloud Code product is currently still in Beta and has been designed in a language-agnostic way, allowing us to support other languages in the future. C# is at the top of this list and we are currently looking into it.

With Cloud Code, we're aiming to bring Serverless architecture (https://martinfowler.com/articles/serverless.html) into the hands of game developers. We are especially keen to do this for studios where this might have brought too much overhead in the past, so we wanted to make it as easy as possible to get started with. We have chosen to support Javascript initially as it will allow us to develop the product in an engine-agnostic way.

The service has been developed to handle large numbers of CCU and can scale accordingly by design.

SebT_Unity, Thaina, mdrotar and 2 others like this.
  3. andybak

andybak

Is this an entirely in-house solution or is it a rebadged version of something like Lambda or Cloudflare Workers?

4. Unity_AndyP

Unity_AndyP

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is a newly built in-house solution

unity_Ctri likes this.
  5. Recon03

Recon03

this is good to hear..

StevenStip-Unity likes this.
  6. Thaina

Thaina

C# should not only be first, it should be top priority. Most of the time we need to reuse same code in client and server. I want to know whose idea to not select C# as the first language for cloud code

Prodigga and StevenStip-Unity like this.
  7. aromana

aromana

What advantage does Cloud Code provide over something like Firebase Functions (or any other mainstream severless tool, of which there are many, and many of which are focused specifically on being easy to use and zero-configuration)? What is "for" game developers/Unity developers about Cloud Code?

stonstad likes this.
  8. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Great question.

One of the biggest benefits we see to using Unity Cloud Code over other cloud based scripting services is its interoperability with other Unity Gaming Services, such as Economy, Analytics, Player Engagement etc... We take care of all the hosting, scalability, resilience, authentication and low latency interconnectivity between gaming services, allowing you to focus on your game rather than infrastructure. It will let you build sophisticated, server authritative systems into your game.

Cloud Code is just one of a growing suite of modular Unity Gaming Services that can be installed easily from the Editor Package Manager. Many gaming scenarios require multiple services to be used together and Cloud Code will frequently be the glue and the conductor that connects them. It simplifies instrumentation and eliminates the need to wrangle data between different services. It is part of a suite of services that are designed to work together and are fully integrated into your Unity Dashboard. We also provide examples and documentation covering gaming scenarios and this will expand as we move through the beta.

Its all about giving you the tools to build and run your game, so we are really interested to hear your feedback and understand what features you are looking for when choosing.

unity_Ctri likes this.
  9. optimise

optimise

@Laurie-Unity I would like to know will C# support will be available very soon? Another feature request is I need something like aws lambda that able to put not just C# codes but also some sdk dll files into project and upload it. Then the project will be compiled and working as what u want it to do.

10. Buckmaster

Buckmaster

Too bad I don't develop in Javascript... It's been over a year and I'd like to use C#, any word?

11. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

Hey there, we're getting closer to supporting C# but it will take some time before we release our initial beta to the public. Current plans are roughly Q1/Q2 of 2023

Thaina likes this.
  12. RicardoAmores_MPG

RicardoAmores_MPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  13. a2zescapegames

a2zescapegames

C# for cloud code still beta ?

14. MileyUnity

MileyUnity