Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C style RTS Community Project - Generals

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Martin-Schultz, Feb 6, 2009.

1. icemelt7

icemelt7

This is by far the most amazing project ... please don't die ... please don't die

EmeraldThunder likes this.
  2. AussieConvict

AussieConvict

I'll be happy to help too. I can only model for now, learning code (c+).
    I'll make a bunch of random units, tanks, jeeps... Anything I can think of.

How will some units work? Will there be infantry? Will they be able to create foxholes or sandbags? I have many ideas. I think what I'll do is create the units with various abilities the coder / programmer / developer can decide to include it or has it as an unlock or something.

My main question, is what time frame is the game set in? can there be an Australian faction? Hehe.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. Mackuss

Mackuss

This is such a great resource for those starting an RTS project but are relatively new to Unity.

And salsicha's contribution is just awesome - his camera script is so straight forward and exactly what I want. I hope this thread continues to show up in searches - thanks Martin for getting the bar rolling!

4. dynam1c

dynam1c

Spoken to Martin over PM, this is a great resource and perfect for new Users and I think it would be a perfect base for the community based full game project I was on about in this thread.

So everyone if you would please share your (FREE) ideas and concepts as to what sort of game this should be, i.e. Time period, Setting, Back story, scope, etc etc and I will work on figuring out what the best work around for the SVN and file sharing issue can be.

If anyone has any good ideas on a work around for sharing the files SVN style would be best please comment.

Disclaimer: This will be a completely transparent project with everything exposed to everyone, so please only share the ideas and concepts you don't mind everyone having access too, if its to personal to you then keep it to yourself.

5. zippoguy

zippoguy

I've been messing with the latest version salsicha posted, and I've gotten a few things working.

You can download the new build here.

The camera controls were a bit clunky, so I reworked them slightly for smoother use.
    I also changed unit selection so that in multiplayer you can only select your own units.

Right now I'm working on an army select screen, but all it's entails right now is picking how many tanks spawn when the game starts.

Known issues:
    After a tank dies, things don't control properly. -fixed
    Tanks spawn position is random, sometimes causing problems.
    Tanks will move while in any orientation, even upside down.
    Game may crash after Disconnect.

Next I'm probably going to implement flocking dynamics, like dreamora suggested, to keep tanks from bumping into each other all the time.
    If anyone wants to contribute models, code, ideas or anything else, just post in the thread and I'll try to get it into the next build.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. Regularry

Regularry

I don't think my skills are advanced enough to contribute anything tangible but maybe I can offer a couple of suggestions:

I'd say a high priority should be to decide what time period the game is set in because no one can begin producing art assets without knowing that. Or if it's intended the setting should be the same as "Command Conquer - Generals" then that needs to be made more clear.

Also it seems the starter of the project is no longer participating in the thread so maybe someone who is actively working on it could volunteer to be the project organizer and ask Martin Schultz if that's OK. It will be very unlikely for a project like this to go anywhere without some sort of leadership structure.

7. dynam1c

dynam1c

Zippo, Thanks for the update downloading it now.

Regularry I have PMed the OP, and he is fine with us lot doing whatever we want with the code and the project. I think Martin should always be accredited and anyone else who submits a build or an idea which is included in a build.

Is there any way to include a poll or voting system in the forum posts? Or does anyone know of an external web service which can be used to collect votes, that would make democratically deciding which direction to take the project a lot easier.

At the moment I think it would be good to just let everyone and anyone who wants to make a suggestion go ahead and share them here in the thread. Then we can choose the best of the bunch.

8. zarlus8

zarlus8

This is pretty awesome. I'm very surprised how this thread was able to stay alive all this time.
    I am currently learning Unity to create my own RTS, but I lack the coding talent it seems some of you have. Unfortunately, there seems to bit a bit of an organization difficulty. I hope that I can help with this.
    Dynam1c is right, we need some ground rules in order to see this project to the end, (by the way Big Buck Bunny is great).
    Generally, (and I'm sure you all know this), games are created in phases, Pre-Production, Production, Release. Those can be broken down into many more phases. That's not really the important thing, what's important is establishing organization. What's happening now is we have production with no pre-production. We have to set up a proper pipeline otherwise this project will degrade into nothingness. I will work on a simple Game Design Doc and hopefully get that posted up by tomorrow. This way we can all get onto one page with what we are doing, and in addition, the end result of what the game will look like.

9. zarlus8

zarlus8

10. gamenut30111

gamenut30111

I would like to contribute a bit to this project. I made the rts pro pack, and should be able to give it to whoever is kinda leading this community project scripting wise. Of course, you can't redistribute it, but it should help a bit. Just pm me if you want it.

11. zippoguy

zippoguy

Today I set up a trac page to set tasks and an SVN for the project. (SVN info is on the trac page).
    Username: generals / Password: revival

Zarlus, that doc looks like a great starting point. I think I should point out that my goal for this project is to make a community template for Unity RTS games, not to create a full-featured game with a story campaign and cutscenes. Anyone is free to take the project at any point and build something more with it, but I'm focusing on an immediate goal to help me familiarize myself with the engine. If this doesn't fit with the aim of the thread, I'll branch off and make my own, but I wanted to get that out there.

As for the gameplay, I'm imagining a game akin to the Myth games, where players control a set number of units. This'll let us get core combat and unit dynamics solid before adding any base building or economy management.

Right now I'm trying to rewrite things to be more modular, instead of units being hardcoded tanks and such.

More to come.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  12. dynam1c

dynam1c

Zarlus, Would you be so kind as to allow anyone with the link to edit the doc, so that those working on bits and bobs can add their content, and then you can clean up the language and make it look all uniform with the design document.

Zippo the trac page requires a username and password to access? Also there is no need to branch off at such an early stage I think its best for you to just keep adding whatever you are doing while the design document starts to take shape. Then if you wish to take the project into a different direction it can branch off, allowing anyone following the process to see when and why the project branches off.

13. snow

snow

this is a great starting off point. one way to make this a better public domain group project is to use something like google codes open source project pages so that people around the world and can collaborate this in my opinion would be the next step in bring turning this into a game. http://code.google.com/opensource/ has contribute the well know Dolphin emulator (emulates GameCube and Wii games on the pc free!) that pretty much started out of nothing and now it a extremely smooth running piece of software due to the thousands of developers that came together to program it.

14. dynam1c

dynam1c

Snow sounds like a good idea, not sure how google code would work with Unity?

15. zarlus8

zarlus8

Fantastic! I was looking at that pack earlier this week gamenut.

Yes, the game doc is now editable:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15QAeqS4aA4Ln0BCj0tjqN9os7IFFkxtZUhf46YXQV1w/edit?hl=en_US

Also, I have created a quick Job assignment document. This is by no means permanent and yes of course you can do multiple things. It would be nice if there were leads that we all could report to to ask questions, see how far along something is, etc. Having that keeps things on track and organized.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...YsxJUdDl5elZJOUhRSEQzeThjSTVTN3V6N1E&hl=en_US

That track site is pretty cool. Does it have versioning functionality?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  16. depresso

depresso

Hey everyone,

Ive been mucking around with it, camera settings etc, and im curious as to how I would go about the following:
    Selecting a unit, then next 'not selectable' unit i click on it should fire at
    -or-
    Click on a unit to select it, where ever u aim with the mouse it'll fire when a button is pressed, then press another button to unselect the unit.

Think GSB in terms of what im aiming to do.

ANY pointers would be great.

Thanks,

17. zippoguy

zippoguy

For the first, you'll want to check out UnitSelection.js. I'd set a check to see if any units are selected, then a check to see if the clicked unit is selectable. If both of those are true, set the selected unit's target to the clicked unit.

For the second, you are going to be messing with Vehicle.js. You'll have to change so that its target is the current mouse position (probably raycast down to the terrain) and is updated when the mouse moves, then check for mouse click and call the fireMainGun function.

18. Neven308

Neven308

19. blitzen

blitzen

I'm picking this up on the programming side, now trying to integrate the above contributions and considering the next step to be adding basic path-finding however we can. I have a decently-succinct A* package I made for a previous 3D RTS home project, though it doesn't take into account other units, only map terrain. I've edited the above document plans and Excel spreadsheet delegating the work, and would like some more clarification on the meanings of the rows and columns from Zarlus8. I'll post whatever comes out the other end.

20. fafrifa

fafrifa

Thank you guys , I 'm a new user with Unity, you bet I'll use this resouces well.
    Want to make RTS game like StarCraft.

21. bizzy

bizzy

22. hijena

hijena

Is this dead?

23. zarlus8

zarlus8

The idea behind the Excel sheet is to show who is voluntarily taking responsibility for a specific job.
    The teams read from top to bottom within a column. With the top taking on the brunt of the work, or just in charge of keeping their team on track and organized.

In response to "a full fledged game." It's perfectly fine if we do not flesh this out to a full game. The Game Design Doc is a template, so that information doesn't have to be included. However, it's nice to try and think of incorporating it into the design. This way if we can turn this into a full game, we have already done the pre-production steps necessary to put everyone on the same page to do it. Also, it gives the design process a goal to achieve, "Hey, let's make this game!" Instead of, "Guys let's just get the tank to drive over the ground when I click on it."
    Not to diminish the work involved to reach that goal, but can you see the difference in the thinking?

Job Excel Sheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Dl5elZJOUhRSEQzeThjSTVTN3V6N1E&hl=en_US#gid=0

GDD:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15QAeqS4aA4Ln0BCj0tjqN9os7IFFkxtZUhf46YXQV1w/edit?hl=en_US

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  24. zarlus8

zarlus8

Can someone create an asset list? Unfortunately I don't have the time right now. It's been on my back burner for a while.
    Please include:
    Units
    Buildings
    Effects (fire, water, lights, etc)
    Modular building pieces (lamp posts, floor tiles, trees, etc)
    Modular Code (is this possible with the Unity engine?)
    Animations
    Weapons/Ammo (shells, cannonballs, guns, whatever)
    Misc (anything else that doesn't fit in above categories)

We don't have to include all of these items, but we must start somewhere.

25. reissgrant

reissgrant

Very cool Martin, don't know how I missed this thread!

26. bob34mal66

bob34mal66

hi i'm new on unity but i 'm modeler on command and conquer and i want to make a same project if you want my help i'm here ....

i'm [wog]colonel on moddb .

mod stargate sg1
    mod stargate mission space
    mod navals wars
    mod rome

etc etc etc ...

27. Neven308

Neven308

Hi guys, we are still creating this game, me and Blitzen are working about 2 months. We already created Tank Factory and you can produce 3 tanks from it (there is delay, status bar and animation while producing), we added HQ and from it you can create other buildings, we also created resource system so whatever you create it costs you money and you can earn money and electricity from some buildings.
    (sorry for my bad English)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/unledsf.png/
    High poly tank - we can use him for background of the game, trailers etc....

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/hdfgh.png/
    Low poly tank (unfinished) - this one is for the game, it has about 900 verticales (old picture)

I also have one Helicopter, F14 and F15 contact me on neven.ignjic if you are interested to work on this project.

28. mahdi68

mahdi68

Hi links in first post not working !

29. banens

banens

I cannot open this projects . Is it because i use Win version of Unity 3d and not Mac OS ? In all versions there is __MACOSX file so I think is because that.

If so how can i trasfer/convert it to Win format ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  30. 4shm3x

4shm3x

Hey all I am highly interested in this, I am currently in development of my own RTS using Unity, My programming is a little rusty as such, I have downloaded the most up to date version and I like what is done so far and so far I understand all the scripts that are written.
    However this is not the sort of genre I was looking for in my RTS I was going for old fantasy sort of style, kinda medieval.
    Anyway, from what I have gained from what I have downloaded from you guys I can replace my units with what is already there etc and put in some buildings. But I have no idea how to go about building construction ( getting a worker to build a building and then create units from that building).

If anyone would be nice enough to help me out with programming wise I would be more than happy to help with either modelling or animation as that is my field.

Cheers!

31. spy60694

spy60694

it's a shame this thread seems to be fading away, since it is not completely dead, people are still downloading what is done, it's just people don't seem to be posting or updating, which is a shame since this project is really great, and the third person set up is great, i'm actually working on an FPS that combines RTS stuff, which that has been done in brothers in arms, though in my game i'm working on a way to impliment the RTS type thing in it with like a camera movment thing where it pauses the others and then you can command a unit to go somewhere, but as well i was thinking of another way to do it, which would keep the games action noted, and could be implemented to an online play, though it would look so much better if the game was more futuristic, which is when this game takes place, this game isn't supposed to be for profit, so if i can't make it in unity i can always switch to cryengine, but that shouldn't need to happen, i just need to get unity to continue with the project better, i don't have any test versions since all i got done is a few models in blender made. though i think i might work on this project a little bit since i am a fan of the command and conquer games, though i did like renegade the most and it's sad they didn't continue renegade 2. i'm planning on getting 3ds max for modeling later in time, and maybe making like a free renegade 2 or something, if anyone has a script for having an object and being able to destroy it, and replace it with a model after that is done. like in renegade where you destroy an enemy base, if anyone has a script that does that it would be great to have it for use.

32. AaronC

AaronC

33. spy60694

spy60694

Yeah I know the FPS tutorial i want to find a way to make this like map-computer thing, kind of like the one from the IGI games, but it shows units on your team, and then I want to be able to click a certain spot on the map which then puts a "beacon" which for other players online would see an arrow pointing to it, and is only visible to team mates.

34. LockonS

LockonS

so..... this isn't dead, right?
    although i am still working on an RTS of my own, i would love to contribute to this project!

35. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

generals was such a good game. Pity it always had that random lag when you played multiplayer.

36. LockonS

LockonS

so, i'm making my own RTS right now, but I am having problems with flocking.....
    i have made selection and moving, but when i tried to move multiple units at once, they cannot reach their destination, and thus form a big weird, jiggling clump around the target, can somebody give an idea of how flocking works?
    any help would be appreciated

cheers,
    LockonS

37. blitzen

blitzen

No it's not. The template is almost finished, save for:

That's the one thing we don't have down either. I was going to only post the update once we have everything done and integrated, since it's confusing to have so many versions floating around, but I may end up leaving the flocking to someone else. Any takers?

38. AussieConvict

AussieConvict

Sorry for saying I was going to contribute, then vanished... I got distracted.

I'Il have a few things to share.. But people bet me to it lols.. Which is great.

We need a GDD, or a list of what we really need to add.

39. AussieConvict

AussieConvict

Wow. Sorry for double post.

40. blitzen

blitzen

Regarding our status:

Pathfinding was implemented first with my own A*-based algorithm, which I then replaced a few months ago with Aron Granberg's more thorough version, and now it looks like Unity 3.5 has one built-in so we may switch yet again to that in order to lighten the project load and reduce 3rd-party dependencies.

What we still need:
    • Flocking, to smooth out movement of large groups of tanks and prevent them from bumping into each other when following the same path.
    • (Optionally) AI Player scripting to play custom 1-player games.
    • Another person doing multiplayer networking and the Master Server side wouldn't hurt either.

Fog of war is completely done and optimized, and progress is being made on the menus, networking and visual effects. There seems to be no shortage of young modellers who keep wanting to submit their latest tank/building models to see them in the game; what we could use in that department, if anything, is more construction/destruction animations for the structures. Since this is a template game the plot line will be silly and rudimentary, so you could use your imagination for any kind of structures and units to use.

I can post what we have now if people really really want, but again I'd like to stop having 47 different versions laying around without everything integrated and working fully. Contact me if you can contribute to one of the above items, or recommend a (free) package already out there that satisfies one of them, so we can finish this up and move on.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  41. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

There is a relatively easy way to do this, which if your target market is pc, is perfectly acceptable IMO. What I did to acheive an effect like this, was divide the meshes into the sections I would like to break apart. Cap holes etc. Then when the building/vehicle is to be destroyed, add a meshcollider and rigidbody to all the parts and detach all children. Give a nice falling apart effect. Im not modeller, but I was able to edit the meshes to do this relavtively easily. I havnt really gone down the path of correctly texturing the capped holes, but it mostly doesnt matter

42. jpeele

jpeele

your vehicle script works really well. I'm new to Unity, so I referenced it to get it working with boned tank models. I'd really like to see where this game is going, if there is anything model-wise you would like help with I'd be glad to lend a hand. Hope you update soon.

43. jlhill17

jlhill17

Does the project need units? I created a whole bunch of units some years ago from various time periods (WWII, modern warfare, aliens, etc.) including tanks, ships planes. Let me know if you're interested.

44. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

@jlhill17: Mind posting a few screenshots here?

45. galent

galent

Hey Martin,

If you really do need a GDD, I'd be happy to flip you over my full game designer package of templates for the project. Least I could do for all your efforts.

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers!

Galen

46. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Oh thanks Galen, but I don't think I want to write a GDD for this community effort here, but thanks for asking! :)

47. jlhill17

jlhill17

Here are just a few of the models. I made them back when I was in high school on Anim8or. It wouldn't take much to dress them up a bit with more detail and textures.

I have models for WWII for complete axis and allies armies, a complete modern US army, and some 18th century units.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  48. bwheatley

bwheatley

49. ktrainers

ktrainers

This would be extremely helpful if you wouldnt mind sharing :)

50. Dark_Hero

Dark_Hero

Hello,

I love this project and tread!! Rely great work!

blitzen: Have you any new update? It would be great if you can show some of your great work.