Search Unity

[C&C] Simple Linear Dialog / Quest System Tutorial

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by xjjon, Jul 14, 2016.

1. xjjon

xjjon

I wanted to share something with the community so I tried my hand at writing a tutorial. I posted this in the 'new' forum, but since it has been rolled back, I will re-post it. It's my first so I have much to improve.

It's a tutorial for creating a simple dialog and quest system. At the end you will be able to load quests from XML files, display them in a game, progress through them, and trigger them multiple quests to run.

I have a part two planned, based on feedback from this one. But in the second part I want to improve by adding functionality to script certain actions in the XML such as panning the camera, giving player items, as well as multiple paths in the dialog.

You can view it here. Happy to hear any comments and critiques! Thanks and hope it can help someone.

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

At work right now so I can't read through all of it just yet, but I wanted to thank you for a) sharing a tutorial of any kind, and b) a text tutorial! I much prefer written tutorials over videos, and they're rare to come by anymore, it seems.

Kudos, and thanks again! Looking forward to reading through it!

3. xjjon

xjjon

Thanks, I feel the same way about videos, most of the content these days I find are videos! Maybe we are old fashioned but I find text + images to be much easier to navigate and comprehend.

4. Jikrebello

Jikrebello

I know this a maybe a bit late in asking, but are you ever going to do the expanded version like you said? I really appreciate the text tutorial as I've gotten quite tired of the videos that everyone else uses

Cookieg82 likes this.